HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am struggling to find an ideal gift for a dear friend. He is, like many of you, committed to purchasing the best & purchasing once. He consumes information voraciously, so a good magazine (as in periodical; not clip) is an ideal gift. Among firearms publications, which are best?
I am really grateful for any & all input!
PS

·
Registered
729 Posts
The only one I'll read is Surefire's Combat Tactics. But they only publish four issues a year, and they don't do too many gun reviews.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have also found gun mags to be lacking.... When was the last time you ever read a review that concluded the gun was bad?
Similar problem with motorcycle magazines..... in addition to being written for a 5th grade (reading level) audience many times.

The best magazine will be the one with a writing style that your friend enjoys.... Hard to say from here..

If he currently subscribes to something he likes, renew it for him.
If he's "shopping around" getting him a subscription for something he hasn't tried is always good.
If he likes it, you're a hero.... if he hates it, he's happy he didn't spend his own money on it and he won't renew.

Just go for it.. :wink:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I am really grateful for any & all input!
I've got some. Next time try posting something about HK handguns in the ........wait for it.......HK handgun section so your thread doesn't get smoked first post out. Welcome aboard.

Oh yeah.......IBTL

·
Registered
40 Posts
For Call of Duty/Battlefield type eye-candy, Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement. With that being said it's a total rag and about the only thing it's useful for is the recycling bin...but the pictures sure are pretty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've written for several of the gun magazines over the years and while I think there are a handful, a sparse handful, of contemporary writers who have actual experience and who write well, can't think of a magazine I'd recommend.

Have you considered gifting your friend a copy of SGM Lamb's excellent GREEN EYES, BLACK RIFLES and STAY IN THE FIGHT (the former about AR's and the latter about handguns) and Jeff Gonzales' COMBATIVE FUNDAMENTALS (covers both AR and handgun in DOD LP form). All three volumes are excellent and written by men who have served with some of the finest shooters in the real world against serious threats---SGM Lamb with the organization formerly known as Delta and Jeff Gonzales with the SEAL Teams. Perhaps a bit pricier than you want to spend, but excellent investments in training skills. Of course, they don't have the latest ads or ads posing as articles on a monthly basis.

Cheers. . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts