HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to feed 180 grain Wolf, Copper Jacket, Steel case ammo to my USP?
I found a nice price on 2000 rounds for $450

Price is good, but are there any issues with the Steel case?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Okay to feed 180 grain Wolf, Copper Jacket, Steel case ammo to my USP?
I found a nice price on 2000 rounds for $450

Price is good, but are there any issues with the Steel case?
should be no problem but it may make you a little alarmed to know there is often steel underneath that copper coated jacket. Mild steel, but steel nonetheless. Some say it causes more or less wear. Truth is, nobody has done a LEGITIMATE test to figure this out.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
I've always wanted to shoot thousands of rounds through my USP and see what happens to it. But I would feel horrible if something happened to it.

But then again, look at Greg Bell. He put what 13,000 rounds of cheap Russian steel cased ammo through his P2000? And that did nothing to it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've always wanted to shoot thousands of rounds through my USP and see what happens to it. But I would feel horrible if something happened to it.

But then again, look at Greg Bell. He put what 13,000 rounds of cheap Russian steel cased ammo through his P2000? And that did nothing to it.
Don't you miss that thread?! I wonder how many rounds he's up to now.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me. We spend good money on quality weapons and then contemplate feeding them crap ammo. Wolf ammunition is the filthiest stuff I've seen. It's as close to black power as a 'smokeless' ammo can get. I avoid it like the plague. I can't think of one firearm I own that I'd run the stuff through.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wolf ammos sucks. Like the others said, it's dirty and of low quality. I saw several rounds not going bang myself (for a variety of reasons).
Only positive thing I noticed is that it's quite hotly loaded.

If you are looking for a fun 9mm round try Magtech 95 grain JSP http://www.magtechammunition.com/si...tails&templateId=14&pageId=103&search=details

Cheap, very precise and makes a hell of a lightshow. :83:

-Valynor

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wolf Ammo haters

Since 2000, I have more than 20k through my MP5k and roughly 5k through my USP 9. About 30k through my M16 and HK53. Dirty? Yes. Dangerous? No. Jams? No more than Winchester white box or S&B.

If you think a long day at the range is firing three 50 round boxes of ammo, firing brass isn't that expensive. If an average day at the range is three cases of ammo, Wolf is the only way to go.

I find the argument of "Gee, you spent a lot on the HK firearm...why do you feed it Wolf ammo?" much like those that buy expensive cars and put in 87 octane fuel...if it works, why spend more that you have to?

Wolf fits my "I don't want to reload" needs quite well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't use wolf in my HK pistols simply because the chamber is a little tighter than most other pistols and it seems like many HK owners have had problems with the cases getting "stuck" in the chamber after firing.

It is very tempting having 1K .45 priced at $10.25 a box!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$150 for 1000 .40 S&W?

Can that be right?
I wish I could get 1000 rounds for $150

450/2=255
$225 for 1000 rounds.

FYI, after talking to the guy he's selling because it wasn't working well with his Glock, and he found a buyer that's going to feed it to a CX4 Storm.

And I fire 250 rounds of .40 every week. It adds up quick. Matter of fact, I think the USPf .40 is going to the safe as soon as I can get my hands on a P30.

(Stupid Maryland Gun Roster)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Must have been a listing error since I can't find the page anymore, but it had a case of 1000 180g JHP ammo, not just the bullets, listed for $150

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a shot a bunch of Wolf 223 thru my M4 with zero problems.

If the ammo meets/exceed specs I have no problems using it. I have shoot 2k+ rounds of lead .45 thru my usp in about 4 months this past summer with not one problem. I remember looking at it before an IDPA match and thinking how dirty it was and got a bit nervous for a second. It ran great no problems, thats after not cleaning it for about 1k rounds.

The HK gun is well made shoot it up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have shot several thousand rounds of wolf 9mm through my USPc9 with only 1 failure and that was the extractor broke the case and the case got stuck in the chamber

so other then that and alittle more powder build up then some ammo i think its decent enough to shoot with ammo prices these days

my last score 6 months ago was 1000 rounds of Aguila 230gr 45acp and it was 200.00, i shoulda bought more because im running out of ammo

·
Registered
20 Posts
The cases get stuck in the chamber not cause its too tight, but because the lacquer finish on the shell casing would melt then cool causing it to stick. I had it happen plenty of times with their .223 ammo and my mini-14. Didn't Wolf change the coating on their steel shell casings to something else?

·
Registered
383 Posts
This thread pretty much sums up all the interweb info about Wolf ammo.

Some will never shoot it, some do and have no complaints.

It is quite a bit more dirty than your more expensive stuff, but that should be expected. The cost savings has to come from somewhere..

If you clean your gun regularly, and inspect your ammo before you shoot it, odds are, you wont have any problems with it. Those are things you should do anyway, but with Wolf it's a little more important.

That being said, I tend to stay clear of it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I buy Canned Heat for Georgia Arms in bulk usually, but I have realized that they cost the same as Winchester White Box they sell locally at Walmart if bought in quantity of 1000. But it is a lot cleaner than the White Box.

I do shoot white box once in a while when I don't want to buy 1000 at a time but I really don't see the problem with shooting dirty ammunition as I do clean my guns after a day at the range.

I have several boxes of 50 round premium hollow points in 9mm, 45 ACP, 223 Rem for home defense, but I really don't see issues with using low quality ammunition for any of the guns I own as I take care of them well enough and if heavy wear occurs, I will simply replace parts or buy a new gun to depend on, but I don't see this happen as I have only used cheap ammunition for my Glock 34 so far (what began as saving money on 9mm became 2000+ rounds through this particular gun so I am going to continue to test with cheap ammo only). So far 14 FTF out of 2000+ rounds (I only count jams in my logs).

So go have fun and have some premium stuff for self-defense and maintain your equipment well.

·
Banned
366 Posts
My P2000 jams when I use Wolf and I'm using the newer non-lacquer stuff.

Mine get stuck because my chamber is actually too loose. When the rounds go off, they expand enough to split/crack down the side causing them to jam because they have over expanded. I have a box full of cracked casings that I had to pound out of my P2000 with a rod and hammer.

Brass has more flex so it expands then shrinks back down quickly as where the steel cases expand, crack and stay expanded.

My .40 caliber GLOCK's chamber is tighter so there isn't enough room for massive expansion there for I don't have this issue with Wolf ammo in my GLOCK's.

I just kinda gave up using Wolf in the P2000. Anything brass works 100%.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I buy Canned Heat for Georgia Arms in bulk usually, but I have realized that they cost the same as Winchester White Box they sell locally at Walmart if bought in quantity of 1000. But it is a lot cleaner than the White Box.

+1

I forgot about Canned Heat, I had split a case with a buddy of mine a while back and didn't have a single hiccup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts