HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pack of wolff mag springs for my usp .45 and after installing them i ran about 20 rounds a piece through them. I noticed that i could not get the 10th round into the mags no matter how hard i tried. So i took them appart and noticed that the springs are bent or warped to the side. All three springs bent the same way. WHAT GIVES?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I bought a pack of wolff mag springs for my usp .45 and after installing them i ran about 20 rounds a piece through them. I noticed that i could not get the 10th round into the mags no matter how hard i tried. So i took them appart and noticed that the springs are bent or warped to the side. All three springs bent the same way. WHAT GIVES?
New Wolff springs are VERY stiff. They are +10% stronger than standard. You can definitely get the tenth round in, you're just not putting enough muscle into it. I had the same reaction when I first installed Wolff mag-springs in my USP Compact 45. I couldn't get the last round in either (until I used a little more muscle). For the moment, don't worry about the tenth round, and see if the feeding problem is resolved. The springs will settle in with time and usage, so that it isn't such a struggle to load the mags. It will also help to leave them fully loaded at all times until the springs set. :)

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Yeah, they can be a real bear when you first start using them it takes some breaking in time.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Don't we all!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
The torque of the Wolff springs give them a slight curve. Remember that when they are housed inside the mag body they will be straight. I have changed every HK mag with wolff springs the day I bought my mags! I don't like it but they work flawlessly. If I don't change them then I have problems with feeding especially .45 super.
Steve

·
Registered
269 Posts
So far I have never had a problem with an HK mag in any of my guns. I would wonder if all that extra pressure is bad for the lips of the mag? I know that they recommend a mag loader on AR mags and the like because it is better for the mag lips. I would assume that if HK felt the spring they are using is not good enough it would have been changed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know that I have over 100 HK mags for the various HK guns I own and shoot a lot. I have 35 for my MP5 alone. I can load a couple thousand rounds into mags in front of the big screen and save a lot of time at the range. Anyway, I have NEVER replaced a spring in ANY magazine. I have 12 45c's , 25 .45 fullsize finger rest, and 22 SOCOMS, and 12 18r 9mm. magazines for my USPs. I load these 71 pistol mags and shoot them all at least once a month. Some of the 45 fullsize are 1996 or 1997. The ONLY problem I have ever had with a HK factory magazine is with the aluminum 20 rounders for the G3 and HK 51. After a while they don't feed right because the lips go bad and the vibration on full auto shakes the rounds lose. I just throw them out because I bought a bunch of them brand new in the wrapper for $4.95 each. I was so glad when HK started to make the 5.56 ARstyle mags. I had been using Colt mags in my FNCs and they were just crap. I didn't want to take the originals out in the desert as they go for $125.00 each if you can find them. HK mags work perfectly everytime. I Have a 45c that is my carry piece. If I had the problems that you are having with a new gun, It would have been back at HK long ago. We don't pay the premium price for HK pistols and their magazines to drive ourselves nuts. My first handgun was a .44 AUTOMAG. It drove me so crazy with problems like you are having that I went into a gun store and asked them what gun will go boom everytime I pulled the trigger. I bought a pair of new USP 45 full sizes. Never had a problem since. That AUTOMAG has been out once in about 15 years. Just my opinion, but when I pay a premium price for a premium product and it doesn't perform as promised, it goes back and THEY find out why and fix it. I had problems with a new Tactical shotgun and a 9mm ELITE. Called HK CS. They sent out a call tag. Problem solved. Unfortunately, that system doesn't seem to work with relationships!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had no trouble with USPc 45 mags, but the 10rd USPf mags well I did have the slide no staying open after the last round! I have replaced the springs with the Wolff and experienced the resolution of problem. I did however have trouble with 10th rd. But, hey I have had 35K trouble free rounds with my USPf and about 10K trouble free on the USPc!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I noticed that it's bended as well when I first saw it. It's fine. Ever since I changed it to wolff springs there's no FTF at all. Can't get your 10th round in??? put some muscle into it !!! :44:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Guess I have wiener thumb mussels as I could only get 8 rounds in 3 of my 5 10 round mags, 9 in two... so I have left them fully loaded and in maybe a month I will recheck them, should be better.

I could not force the full number of rounds into the mag... rechecked alignment, cleaned them extra clean, lubed, nothing worked so am working with time now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the same trouble with Wolff's bought from Brownell's. They're in the mail today on their way back for a refund. I posted recently about how hard it was to get the 10th round in the mag and to get the mag to seat once loaded. I have new 45F mags and will just wait until I have a problem to replace the springs instead of anticipating one before it happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts