HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One thing I've always had a bit of a gripe about with my H&K pistols is the heavy trigger pull. I don't want to give up the cocked and locked option so I started looking for another option. I found the cure using the simplest method. I went to Wolff Gunsprings website and ordered two hammer/mainsprings. The standard factory spring is 14 pounds. I ordered a 10 pound and a 12 pound spring. Of course changing them out takes about two minutes. On a 1911 a spring like this wouldn't make much difference if any in trigger pull but with an H&K it does.
I started with the 10 pound mainspring and headed to the range to make sure there was enough spring power to reliably fire the primer on a number of brands of ammo. It all worked out just fine so now I have a much better/lighter trigger pull both for double action and single action carrying cocked and locked. I can't say what the trigger pull has been reduced to but it feels pretty close to between two thirds to half what it was. I imagine some may need the 12 pound spring but hey it's a big improvement! The springs are cheap as well.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/HecklerKochNF.html#USP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks,

Orders in for my USP 9. Great gun but just to heavy a DA pull. It measures just over 11 lbs which is just to much for my liking. SA pull is great at about 4 lbs. I am anxiuos to see how the springs affect this

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal. Let me know what you think when you get them changed out. I hope your as pleased as I am:)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Any ideas as of P2000SK compability (after appropriate trimming, of course?)? The shorter spring in the SK should be rated a little heavier... May just order them all to try and see?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucas,

I wish I could tell you on that question but not having a 2000 I don't know. I would imagine they are the same or very close. At $4.85 a spring it's worth a try to get that lighter trigger pull and therefore more accuracy at least for me. After buying a 10 and 12 pound spring plus shipping and with shipping I spent about $14.
If you decide to give it a try by all means let us know it might help other 2000 owners get a better trigger!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Does anybody know or have anyone who has tried that with the P30??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Man I just don't know with the P30. I've never handled one or had one apart so I'm not sure how large the spring on that one is or the pounds of compression. I'd probably give H&K a phone call and ask them. I bet they can tell you. They have always been helpful when I've called them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It does take a lot of live firing to get rid of a flinch. One drill you can do is mix an empty case in with a mag of live rounds. When you get to the empty case see how much you flinch when you pull the trigger. That will let you know what you have to overcome. Just mix the mags up so you don't know when the empty is coming up or if you have a friend have him load your mag. You could also use a snap cap if yours has trouble loading an empty. Try not to anticipate the round going off. A lighter spring would probably help since the pull will be smoother.
What it boils down to is practicing a lot to overcome that tendency. You can do it!

This one looks like yours right? I wasn't sure if they made any changes to it lately.
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg198-e.htm

The spring to be replaced is the one at the rear of the grip in this cutaway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
USPC

According to the Wolff customer rep, the hammer spring for the USP and USPC are the same. He did not know for certain on the P-SK but said high probability of it fitting.

Anybody try the spring in a P-SK? Necessary to shorten the length?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is the USPc so yep, it fits just fine:)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Just ordered to try them in P2kSK. Will let You know how it works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Target Pics with 10 pound spring

I wanted to share the results from shooting the H&K USP compact using the 10 pound hammer/mainspring. I forgot the camera the first time I tried it so I went out today and fired 80 rounds from 7 and 10 yards point shooting (no sights). I went pretty fast just to see the difference in results from using the factory 14 pound and the Wolff 10 pound spring.
I'll have to tell you it made a significant difference in accuracy and trigger feel. Granted the groups would be smaller aiming and going slower but I wanted this to be realistic like a combat situation.
The head shots on the first target are from 7 yards point firing starting with double action for the first shot. All the shots went into the head with none thrown out. Normally using the factory spring with the heavier trigger pull I would throw two or so outside the head.
The second target was from 10 yards also point shooting and using double action for the first shot. You can see the different groups when I changed mags but again they all went into the 5 inch target or just barely outside but still a good center mass shot.
The last target is the little figure about 4 inches high that is in the top left corner of the target. I decided to fire my last shot double action aimed at 10 yards. It's kinda hard to see but the little guy took one. I was honestly shocked I hit it from that distance double action even aimed.
I hope this gives you guys an idea of the improvement in accuracy by just changing out that one spring. I would say it made my groups about 25% smaller overall :)

By the way the target stickers to cover previous shots are ones from before I changed out the spring!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good deal I'm really looking forward to other peoples results!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Spring Change

My spring order for both 10 and 12# should arrive by Friday. Anybody, please send me a detailed instruction on changing the hammer springs on my USPC and P2SK, my first time doing it. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Tabsr,

On this same thread I put a cutaway view of an H&K. The spring to be replaced is the long one at the rear of the grip. The long spring that extends practically the length of the grip.
Use a large paperclip or if you have one a small hex wrench that fits in the hole for the pin at the bottom of the grip. Place the hex wrench in the hole on the left side of the grip. (left as you look from the rear of the gun) lightly tap the pin from left to right and it will come out. There is a small plastic piece that is freed when the pin is removed. This piece has the lanyard ring built into it. Remove this plastic block making note of how it will go back in the grooves on the grip frame. Just lift the spring out, set it aside then place the replacement spring on the steel guide the other spring fit on. Replace the plastic block back into the grooves aligning the spring top into the hole at the bottom of the block. Depress the block until it's even with the bottom of the grip then replace the pin just the reverse way--right to left. It pops right in and you make sure it's even on both sides of the grip. You're done go shoot that puppy:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's great! I'm really looking forward to other peoples impressions after they change out the spring

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info Gunner777.

I really enjoy the DA/SA + safety setup of the default configuration, but the pull is really too much for me, especially the DA trigger. This gives me an option that's non-permanent (easily reset to default) and that's cost-effective.

I ordered my #10 spring from Wolff earlier this week. Will post range results as soon as it arrives.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts