HKPRO Forums banner

Would a 100% factory (pre-89 ban) FMP G3 be considered a clone or an original?

14K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Lt CHEG 
#1 ·
Would a 100% factory (pre-89 ban) FMP G3 be considered a clone or an original?

#13 ·
That works for me.:14000000:

#9 · (Edited)
REPLY: I totoally agree also.A Greek or Port, G3 type rifle is as close to a factory gun as your going to get without buying HK. Germany was not the only country to use or manufacturer HK style weapons. Greece G3's EBO Early G3,SAR3,SAR8. Portugal G3S,XG3S just to name a few. There are far more. I've had 2 very early SAR3's(Greek) and there is not one difference in the gun whatsoever besides the markings. Function and finish were the same if not better.I had a FMP G3S Vollomer 51 SBR conversion and really there is no difference in it and the V51 I got from Vector except the price. Some of these third world countries did not have the cash to get a 5.56 weapon for their military so they kept the HK G3 wether it was Greece,Portugal,ETC>>>

#10 ·
Remember guys FMP Made and sent guns to Hk to go to the German army.(about 50.000 gun's sent to germany)
as Hk contract agmt....made on German Mech to German Spec..just not stamped Hk IS ALL! all the same...take all you FMP guns and all you Hk guns and all parts will swap...mix and match...even all the greek guns will do the same...as per HK contract agmt and spec.. just not stamped Hk is all..

try that with the us made clones..dont work.....to bad so sad...

#14 ·
I agree with BigDuke - HK contract is not "clone." A "clone" is a copy that is made without a license from HK (my definition). FMP parts are made under a HK license. HK is a corporation (e.g. a name on a piece of paper) that exists because people are authorized to carry out tasks on its behalf.

But HK contract parts are not "HK" and they are not "German" or "all German" (which is how I often see them advertised).

I think it is most accurate to refer to an FMP G3 as an "FMP" G3 or maybe as a "contract" G3. My 2 cents.

#22 ·
Clone.

The flats from Turkey were made on HK equipment. Many were completed with German parts kits...still a clone.

After a period of time, many of the countries that HK set up, started to made changes to their processes and quality of materials. Clone.
I disagree. I would say that it's more akin to a licensed product. The example I would use is that B&T made some MP5's under license for HK. They are WITHOUT QUESTION the complete equal to HK made MP5's if not superior. The B&T MP5's were made on HK equipment, just like the POF produced flats. Factor in the fact that HK Obendorf has used some licensee produced products itself for production of HK marked products and I think that you can start to see that there is a difference between a product produced under license and guidance from HK and a product reverse engineered.

I don't begrudge assigning a collector value on something marked Hk because it is so marked. It's along the same lines as assigning a collector value of a small amount on a coin minted on a press in San Francisco or Denver, over one minted in Philadelphia. The coins are the functional equivalent, as the licensed MP5 is to the one that's marked Hk. My incoming IGF built MP5 utilizes a torn down HK MP5, every single part is taken off of a factory HK MP5. The receiver was made from a licensed MP5 flat produced on HK machinery. It was assembled by someone at least as skilled, almost certainly much more so than some assembly worker in Obendorf. So I restate my assertion that my IGF built MP5 built on a POF receiver flat is a licensed MP5, completely the functional equivalent of any Obendorf produced MP5.

#19 ·
Clone or not to clone...

Most defintions are dna related, however, dictionary.com has the "jargon definition" as:

1. An exact copy of a product, made legally or illegally, from documentation or by reverse engineering, and usually cheaper.

My friend just got back from his honeymoon and the catch phrase in shops in Europe was "Genuine Fake".

#21 ·
Wish they were, wouldn't that be something? I'd love to have one of the WW2 guns....but....

No, they're not, not even a clone of the CETME. The CETME is just an earlier ancestor. Everyone is cloning one specific model, the HK G-3. The original parent is the German G-3. ALL others, including the 91 are actually clones of the G-3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.