HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Interesting.

Kinda reminds me of a couple years ago when all those were dumped on the market.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe, Todd w/ ORF will post the number of sears sold as buyers reserve them. For $12,500, I'm tempted but also very cautious.

PBR

·
Registered
390 Posts
I wonder if these are the same sears Ghilliebear was trying to sell for someone a while back. As I remember he was also trying to sell them all together but I think the price was much higher then.

·
Registered
71 Posts
wow. 50 is a large number for one person to have. i believe i most likely would have had a coronary when the ban hit the in the first place

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wonder if these are the same sears Ghilliebear was trying to sell for someone a while back. As I remember he was also trying to sell them all together but I think the price was much higher then.
Pretty sure those where either flemming/qualified sears.

PBR

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Ghillie was selling ten Flemming sears (#'s 1-10). These are S&H sears. My guess is, if these sell, the market will be flat for at least a year.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am trying to understand the ad. Is the sear registered or is the SEF lower the registered item?

A good deal in today's market.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Have to be the sear. He just has them installed in lowers.

·
Registered
531 Posts
WOW someone is going to make a lot of money if they all sell!

I was born 20 years toooooooooo late.:150000:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I just dont understand the all or nothing part?Why would someone think there are 50 ready people at any one time?

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
I just dont understand the all or nothing part?Why would someone think there are 50 ready people at any one time?
I think that's why he is giving buyers about three months, so he can compile a list of interested buyers (with no deposits taken). Hard part is, if you are ready to buy now, do you pay a bit more from someone else, or wait the three months to see what happens? Just waiting this out may keep sear prices down if people hold off buying.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I guess what I mean is what if he gets 25 people ready to buy?If 25 more dont step up then nobody gets a deal?Just wonder how many are in the market for one?If only demand for half of them, then what.

·
Registered
422 Posts
$12,500 is a 'good' price but probably not a 'great' price! If Todd is looking for 50 people, I would think the price should be closer to $12,000 so enough people get interested.

Let's see, you can purchase a MP5 and registered sear combo for close to $17,000-$17,500. Strum has them for this price almost everyday.

For those poeple who have built up a HK94 correctly to a MP5, the total invested is close to $4500-$5000. I realize you can probably do it for less, maybe closer to $4000, but to do it right I feel it is closer to $5000 for a good MP5 build. The balance for the sear is close to $12,500.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
$12,500 is a 'good' price but probably not a 'great' price! If Todd is looking for 50 people, I would think the price should be closer to $12,000 so enough people get interested.

Let's see, you can purchase a MP5 and registered sear combo for close to $17,000-$17,500. Strum has them for this price almost everyday.

For those poeple who have built up a HK94 correctly to a MP5, the total invested is close to $4500-$5000. I realize you can probably do it for less, maybe closer to $4000, but to do it right I feel it is closer to $5000 for a good MP5 build. The balance for the sear is close to $12,500.
I'd say you're off by about $1,000 on the MP5 conversions - HK94s can be found readily for $3,000ish, and about 3 months ago I had one converted by Urbach for $900, and that included converting a burst pack to work with my Fleming sear which I think was $150 of the $900.

But no matter, I put myself down for one of them. And I definitely think 50 sears can sell in 4 months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
aviator dave you commented on the build price of a mp5 -- so will i-- i do not think he is off on his estimate to build a mp5 off a current 94 -- i'd say you are low.

as lv-hk said -- depends on how you want it built -- want the 94 rear site or an mp5 rear site?; factory fa carrier or welded carrier?; a3 or a2 stock?; the cost of that burst pack you had converted? and the list can go on........

point is that there are many ways to build an mp5 and the final price varies widely depending on the quality of the build and what one is willing to accept in the end as a MP5.

hey, just my further $0.02 for those that care -- arguments about what somethig "should" cost are irritating to me because of the variables involved in a build that determine the final cost. just because you thought the urbach build was "right" doesnt't mean that i do. folks on these boards that don't know as much as you and i do are influenced by what you say and you are not providing a complete evaluation of all the variables; hence, a biased perspective.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
aviator dave you commented on the build price of a mp5 -- so will i-- i do not think he is off on his estimate to build a mp5 off a current 94 -- i'd say you are low.

as lv-hk said -- depends on how you want it built -- want the 94 rear site or an mp5 rear site?; factory fa carrier or welded carrier?; a3 or a2 stock?; the cost of that burst pack you had converted? and the list can go on........

point is that there are many ways to build an mp5 and the final price varies widely depending on the quality of the build and what one is willing to accept in the end as a MP5.

hey, just my further $0.02 for those that care -- arguments about what somethig "should" cost are irritating to me because of the variables involved in a build that determine the final cost. just because you thought the urbach build was "right" doesnt't mean that i do. folks on these boards that don't know as much as you and i do are influenced by what you say and you are not providing a complete evaluation of all the variables; hence, a biased perspective.
Well, actually, I didn't read where he said "$4,000-5,000". I only saw the last sentence about it being $5,000. So I said that I disagreed, but then the numbers I was thinking of are right about the same as what he wrote. So I actually do agree with the "probably can do it closer to $4,000". But you are entirely correct - if you want an A3 stock, and a burst pack, you won't get the whole thing done for $4,000. None of those options were mentioned in the original post, so I was thinking more of a basic MP5 without those accessories.

I know that a lot of people do pay closer to $5,000, I'm just saying it can be done for a lot less than that, it just takes some work, and some time - mainly lots of hunting around for the parts for a good price. And also, like you say, it depends on how the conversion is done. Like it might be cheaper to have the 94 barrel cut down and have an adapter put on - you wouldn't have the expense of a real MP5 barrel. A welded carrier vs. a real f/a carrier, etc. But of course it's a biased perspective - it's based on what I actually did just 3 months ago, and what I did actually pay.

I do agree, what I paid for the Urbach conversion was a great price, lower than some of the other places. As far as it being "right", anyone that's ever had one done by Urbach knows how perfect they are. But as for the complete MP5 conversion price - it's right on TSCMachine's web site - $995 for the conversion, not including the burst conversion. I think InvestmentGradeFirearms will do a build from a receiver and a parts kit for $650, again, not including a burst pack conversion. I know Jayson reads this site a lot, maybe he'll confirm.

I guess my real point was that $12,500 is the lowest price I've seen on sears this year. Every one I've seen in the past 6 months or so has been closer to $14,000.

How's that for a mea culpa? :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
"probably can do it closer to $4,000".
As far as builds go, I saw alot of 'ecno' MP5's for sale at the SAR show last week, real hack jobs but a machine gun no less. No flappers, cut barrels and no lugs, beat up finish,.....

I bet you could get an 'ecno' MP5 builds for closer to $500!

I always felt the best way to build a MP5 was to buy a HK94 and a complete MP5 parts kit. I feel the creme da la creme MP5 builds are usually MP5 A3 Navy's or MP5 A3 2/3 shot burst lowers. To go this route, you are probably looking closer to $5000 for the completed rifle. The HK94 is simply a receiver to me.

The other part most people over look is the 3-6 month(seems like 3-6 years) build time or more.

To recap, $12,500 is a good deal but probably not a great deal. I feel 50 people is alot of people to get excited about spending $12,500. At just a few dollars less, all of them would be gone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I paid only $2800 for my 1st MP5 by Vollmer with a Qualified Mfg sear.
$12,500 today maybe a "good deal" but the real prices are nuts currently, and I do this for a living!
Get a NFA/FFL/SOT mfg lic. and make a post sample instead!
$18-20,000 for an MP5 is crazy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts