HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get a AIWB for my HK45c before the summer hits. Will entertain offers for high end leather or non kydex holsters.

Also will love any advice about carrying AIWB, mainly sitting down while carrying AIWB and best holsters for AIWB. The Hk45c I have is V1 so the holster has to be setup to accomodate that.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Darebear,

Awesome bro!

Be sure to check out both the AIWB thread and AIWB Picture thread on pistol-forum.com. That's without doubt the BEST resource on AIWB available.

Since CCC isn't taking orders, I would check out JRC Holsters (also has threads and reviews on P-F.com) who just started making a promising leather AIWB rig which is adjustable for height and butt-tuck. If I didn't already have a Shaggy and Looper, I'd definitely buy JRC's rig.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked out the website. I will place my order tomorrow morning before work. Important question. What is it like to sit down wearing these holsters?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just checked out the website. I will place my order tomorrow morning before work. Important question. What is it like to sit down wearing these holsters?
Depends on if the holster is the right match for you. Whether you wear lower-cut waist jeans or at a regular waist will play a part, too.

My first AIWB try was with a UBG that had an offset metal clip and was VERY tight to the body. I can wear my P2000 with this and a t-shirt......thing is though, it's so tight to the body due to the clip being mounted over the trigger guard and jams into my groin when I sit.

My next try was with a CCC Looper. This is a fairly low-ride option for AIWB, straight drop. If it was in the sweet spot, it was perfectly comfortable. I've sat with my P2000 in this holster while driving for hours on end....after a course I joined Todd Green and some other students for dinner. 3 of us ended up staying hours until closing time, and never did I have any discomfort with the holster. If I know I'm going to be sitting a lot, I'll usually wear my belt a hole or two looser(3/4" spread on the holes), though I'll keep it normal if I can't discreetly readjust my belt (example: in my car, or in a bathroom stall before I leave a restaurant). Sometimes I'll wear it around loose just because my clothing will allow it. For concealment, the Looper is very dependent on not only how tight the belt is, but VERY dependent on how stiff the belt is. Going from a Galco gun belt to a horsehide "Beltman" made a world of difference in both concealment AND comfort with the Looper.

I just got my CCC Shaggy today. Compared to the looper, this has a higher ride. Because of this, I'm noticing it's already much easier to be comfortable with while sitting....I really haven't needed a sweet spot for sitting. The butt of the gun tucks in MUCH better with the Shaggy compared to the Looper (as well as the UBG, or better), however I have a little bit of a gut...which combined with the higher ride (most would call it normal ride for AIWB) pushes the top of the gun out a little. My P2000 in a Shaggy isn't doable with a T-shirt, though it's fine for the clothes I usually wear outside the house. The higher ride also makes it noticeably easier to establish a master grip, even though the butt is tucked in much more.

So, for now I think I'm going to wear the Shaggy because it doesn't seem like I need a sweet spot....it kinda just works without trying and I've been wearing it while sitting around the house all day, as well as walking the dog earlier. So I think JRC's holster would be ideal since you'll get to play with the ride height to find what works best for you...in addition, he's the true definition of a custom maker. Almost every holster he makes is different according to customer specs, and he's very popular on P-F for his communication skills. You might even be able to change the holster from vertical drop to a reverse cant, which is what SouthNarc prefers for his AIWB rig (the dude that runs Shivworks). The reports so far are that it tucks int he gun very well, or you could adjust it and have it tuck less if preferred.

All in all, comfort with AIWB while sitting is dependent on whether it's the right setup for you. It's a very personalized carry option unless you're using a very small gun like a P2000sk. If you ask 10 people about their AIWB preferences, you'll get 11 opinions :)

You may want to PM JodyH and ask him any specific questions you have as well. I believe he's been carrying AIWB for some time now, and has used more holsters than I, ranging from Desbiens #4 and Cane & Derby's Pardus which I've only read about.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Want to get a AIWB for my HK45c before the summer hits. Will entertain offers for high end leather or non kydex holsters.

Also will love any advice about carrying AIWB, mainly sitting down while carrying AIWB and best holsters for AIWB. The Hk45c I have is V1 so the holster has to be setup to accomodate that.
Hey Darebear if you could post a quick review of which holster you end up getting? Is it the AIWB-CDA from JR? I've been very curious about them for a bit but have yet to find a review with a 45c. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Darebear if you could post a quick review of which holster you end up getting? Is it the AIWB-CDA from JR? I've been very curious about them for a bit but have yet to find a review with a 45c. Cheers.
Will do. I want to ask TGS about the shaggy but I am def getting one of these. ETA on JRC's website says 4-6 or 6-8 weeks and I like that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm pretty fond of two AIWB holsters.

1. Smart Carry. I can't explain how comfortable this thing is. Has a sweat guard built in. Doesn't look all tacticool but it works. In TX summers, I'm sporting that thing with Adidas shorts from April to November. Friends can't tell I even have anything on me. Comes with a pocket for a spare mag as well. BTW, I'll be selling the one I have, sized medium, in the near future if you are interested. I just changed my edc and will need to purchase another one.

2. Fist #1 or #1a. Uses a clip for retention (it's strong and doesn't move)

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts