HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 53 flash hider lock onto the barrel with the internal spring pin? Or is it supposed to thread on freely and the grooves on the barrel and the internal spring pin just offer resistance? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HK53 Flash Hider needs a little TLC

Like most of the HK barrels the 53 has "ribs" that go around the outside of
the barrel behind muzzle threads. They provide the ratcheting feel that you
have when threading on the flash hider. Most of the HK line you only have
to snug the muzzle on. On the 53 you should make sure it is tight. The
53 four prong hider has a tendency to resonate and fracture one of
the prongs over time. And as you know they are expensive to replace.
There is a spanner slot on the hider to aid in removal. The Fleming 308
HK51 hider also should be tight. My brothers Fleming 51 came loose to the
point where a round nicked it on the way out and it flew down the
range 20 yards. The only way we knew this is suddenly the gun began to belch rings of flame (This is how the ring of fire flash hider came into being)
The Volmer 51B muzzle brake is infamous for coming loose after 100 rounds
or so. But then again so do your fillings in your teeth.

Muffie on a Terry Dyer HK53 Conversion

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Which is the better flash hider for V53 if using for a sear host the birdcage or 4 prong hider?

·
Registered
532 Posts
4-prong, definitely.

Even the birdcage has the slots which will allow you to see the flame front as it exits the muzzle. With the 4-prong, you only get a slight glimpse of orange flame, and it's mostly out the front.

This all depends on what ammo you're shooting, too, I might add.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Does the 53 flash hider lock onto the barrel with the internal spring pin? Or is it supposed to thread on freely and the grooves on the barrel and the internal spring pin just offer resistance? Thanks.
I held my 53 for the first time on the 25th and I asked about the flash hider. It has a spring clip that locks into the notches once it is fully seated. Basically stops it from spinning off during vibration.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
4-prong, definitely.

Even the birdcage has the slots which will allow you to see the flame front as it exits the muzzle. With the 4-prong, you only get a slight glimpse of orange flame, and it's mostly out the front.

This all depends on what ammo you're shooting, too, I might add.
M855 is the ammo I have readily available.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Most of the HK line you only have to snug the muzzle on. On the 53 you should make sure it is tight. The 53 four prong hider has a tendency to resonate and fracture one of the prongs over time.
I haven't had any issues of a 53 flash hider coming loose... ever. Hand pressure only. And the only 4 prong hiders I have heard of that break over time are the US made "extended" 4 prong thingies.

There is a spanner slot on the hider to aid in removal. The Fleming 308 HK51 hider also should be tight. My brothers Fleming 51 came loose to the point where a round nicked it on the way out and it flew down the range 20 yards. The only way we knew this is suddenly the gun began to belch rings of flame (This is how the ring of fire flash hider came into being)
The Volmer 51B muzzle brake is infamous for coming loose after 100 rounds
or so. But then again so do your fillings in your teeth.
The flats on the hider are for removal. Doesn't mean you should tighten it using the slots. Grunts used to remove the birdcage hiders using a bayonet blade, don't think 53 operators really had any "bayonets" issued, hence the wrench slots. Every Hans, Fritz und Gretchen has wrenches somewhere...

I also sent a Vollmer 51 muzzle break downrange. It flew a good 200 feet or so. Didn't harm it in the least, it's back on the gun. Did it in front of several thousand yahoos at Knob Creek. No denying that... too many witnesses. The Vollmer muzzle break does NOT have a wire retainer, nor does the gun have ribs to lock into. It does have a locking nut, which you are supposed to check every now and then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts