HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a couple of the weld on rail for my clones. I have been looking at the Swedish AK4 pics on how they were mounted and it appears as if they milled down but left the rear sight base in place to act as part of the support for the rail. I intend to keep my rear sight or at least the ability to remount the drum sight. I plan to trim the AK4 rail to just in front of the rear sight drum but extending rearward over the front lower portion of the sight base. Has anyone mounted one of these and can give feedback on if that front section of the base needs modifying first? Did they mill down the rear sight base on these as it appears in the pics I have seen?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony, Jeff has been generous with his time in the past but since I will be mounting this I hate to bother a builder with this type of question since it is a stock and trade item for him. It is kinda hammy (and a little rude) to take up a man's time for something he does as a paid service.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is what they look like, can't say exactly how these would work. I could not figure out how to attach mine so I went with a DT rail instead. Seems like the SK4's had some kind of socket or maybe something added to their version of the receiver.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There was an interesting article touching on this in Small Arms Review--- search "Swedish reclamation project for the AK4." :biggrin:

Tony
I was just going to post this, there was a PDF on their website under the sample article section, but it appears its gone now.
You can see a nice side view here: Economy of Arms: the Swedish reclamation project for the AK4 rifle.
showing the machined off rear and rail placement.
IIRC, they actually use aimpoints of some variety, not the optic shown.

·
Banned
34,557 Posts
I was just going to post this, there was a PDF on their website under the sample article section, but it appears its gone now.
You can see a nice side view here: Economy of Arms: the Swedish reclamation project for the AK4 rifle.
showing the machined off rear and rail placement.
IIRC, they actually use aimpoints of some variety, not the optic shown.
That is the article--- thank you!!! :biggrin:
I believe that you are correct on the subsequent scopes--- the scope system shown were prototype scopes (20 in 1.5x for the AK5/20 in 3x for the AK4)--- I have some of these scope systems. :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
893 Posts
That is the article--- thank you!!! :biggrin:
I believe that you are correct on the subsequent scopes--- the scope system shown were prototype scopes (20 in 1.5x for the AK5/20 in 3x for the AK4)--- I have some of these scope systems. :wink:

Tony
RTG parts had a first type AK4 scope for sale not too long ago. Somebody must have bought it, it's gone now.
That would have been a fun clone to make, had almost hit the buy it button a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone shared the AK4 reclamation project and it had the exact pics I was looking for. The rear of the AK4 rail is welded to the milled down rear sight base. They milled the entire base down almost level with the flat area on the front portion of the sight base. That is one of the reasons Discogodfather had trouble figuring out how it was suppossed to be mounted, the rear needs the milled sight base as a support for it.

I sent you a PM on that AK4 sight rail Discogodfather.

Thanks to the rest of you, if you do access the article the picture gallery is to the right of the article and is really excellent with giving a breakdown of how they did it. If I can get one delivered over the Holiday break maybe my G3 clone will be sporting a rail before New Years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts