HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be doing a 53 build shortly with a 93 and a factory kit. Anyone have any experience with RDTS? Could you rate the build? Close to factory spec?

Any other recomendations? TSC? Anyone able to compare 53's side by side? Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had RDTS build me a 53 out of an HK93 and a 53 kit. I wanted it factory correct.

Long story short, after I got it back from RDTS I sent it off to TSC do be done right.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I had RDTS build me a 53 out of an HK93 and a 53 kit. I wanted it factory correct.

Long story short, after I got it back from RDTS I sent it off to TSC do be done right.
Can we hear the long story for us who are ready to have an HK53 build?

·
Registered
276 Posts
There were two issues:

1) The factory 53 cocking tube and cocking tube support were not installed in such a way that they worked in their factory state. The gun was band-aid fixed by welding a spacer on the support. I explicitly said I wanted the factory 53 parts to work!

2) The bolt gap was very low even with +4 rollers.

So after I spent $1300 and 9 months with RDTS and was left unsatisfied, I sent it to TSC to be done right.

I had to find a new 53 cocking tube (rare as hell) and of course I had to pay TSC for the 53 build/rebuild ($1250). TSC's "HK53" remarking looks better than RDTS's IMHO.

RDTS has done good work on two of my other guns (MP5 and G3K). I feel they really dropped the ball on the 53.

There's another guy on this board that had the same overall problem with the same build (HK93 w/ 53 kit), which was done at the same time as my 53.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Very good! Thanks for the information!

There were two issues:

1) The factory 53 cocking tube and cocking tube support were not installed in such a way that they worked in their factory state. The gun was band-aid fixed by welding a spacer on the support. I explicitly said I wanted the factory 53 parts to work!

2) The bolt gap was very low even with +4 rollers.

So after I spent $1300 and 9 months with RDTS and was left unsatisfied, I sent it to TSC to be done right.

I had to find a new 53 cocking tube (rare as hell) and of course I had to pay TSC for the 53 build/rebuild ($1250). TSC's "HK53" remarking looks better than RDTS's IMHO.

RDTS has done good work on two of my other guns (MP5 and G3K). I feel they really dropped the ball on the 53.

There's another guy on this board that had the same overall problem with the same build (HK93 w/ 53 kit), which was done at the same time as my 53.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a HK53 that Ralph built. Not a single problem. Does a BETA dump with no problem. I know Boom had some problems which I don't want to get in the middle of as I know Ralph pretty well (he built 5 of my HK full autos) and I know Boomfab a little bit (I have a HK416 that came from him). I have asked Ralph to post the pictures of that project to present his side of the event. RDTS photographs, lists, and labels everything as it comes it and goes out. I have always been satisfied with Ralph's work--except for the wait. It Takes forever!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks HKAZ

I will post the circumstances on the 2 mentioned builds. We have done several 53 parts kit builds in the past and never ran into this problem. I talked with several dealers and owners of factory 53's and now know what the problem was. We even checked lengths on the 2 versions of cocking support for 53's. On both 53 builds using the factory parts we installed the cocking tube as far back as it would go and still enable the forearm hanger to accept the pushpin so the forearm would still be able to be pinned on. I examined both guns and if the cocking tube was moved further back to close up the .080-.100 gap that existed between the cocking support and front of bolt carrier the hanger would then be to far back and the forearm could not be pinned on. The .080-.100 gap at the cocking support made Boomfabs 53 hard to crack open and cock. We added .080 to the cocking support to fix this and as far as I remember it was indistinguishable to the eye.

The fix: We now figure the reason for the problem was perhaps HK welds on the forearm hanger after the cocking tube is attached to the receiver and that may explain the differences in parts kits. What we do now due to this experience on 2 53 builds with factory parts set is first install the cocking tube with hanger so we have the proper .020-.040 gap between carrier and cocking support THEN before welding if the hanger is to far back to facilitate the forearm pushpin we will then machine off the welds on the hanger and move it for a proper fit. As far as our HK53 markings they were made from digital images taken from HK German Dealer Samples.

HK53 Imp V2 for a build for less than the cost of a 53 parts set!
By the way RDTS now has the HK53 Improved Version 2! We just finished 10 of our redesigned HK53 Imp. builds. What you have now is a HK53 that looks identical to the factory externally BUT has a FULL COILED RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY (All the coils from a full sized 33/93) and a FULL 33/93 BOLT CARRIER. If you are lucky enough to have a HK 33/93 22 conversion unit it is a drop in on this gun. Also with the extra coils and bolt carrier mass of the 33/93 you have a weapon that will never stick on an overstuffed mag or beta drum. All the Factory locking pieces for the HK53 for various ammo can be utilized in this build. We supply it with a HK German #15 for standard ammo use.

We will post on our web site the pics from Boomfabs build and the specs and advantages of our HK53 Improved Version 2 builds in the near future along with live fire videos. We are sincerely sorry for Boomfabs experience. To our other client that had the similar problem we will be more than happy to reinstall the cocking tube, move the hanger and strip and refinish his weapon if he desires. We have been in business since 1981 and will never say we are experts or know it all, “An expert is a drip under pressure".

Ralph at RDTS

·
Registered
244 Posts
A little off topic because it was not a 53, but I had Ralph do a rebarrel and refinish on an SP89 that I SBR'd. He is local, and gave him a call after reading infinite posts on his work.

He offered to meet me half way between my house and his shop to drop it off to save me the shipping...he did'nt have to do that. He also answers his phone when you need to ask him questions and takes the time to explain things to you. He called me literally a couple of days after we met and said that it was done. Again, he offered to meet me to hand it over. He took a personal check and told me he did'nt need identification from me. It looks amazing and ALWAYS draws a crowd at the range...almost to the point of being annoying!!

During both meetings, we talked in the parking lot for quit awhile about current projects (silencers) and his business. He is solid guy and is extremley genuine. He tells you what you HAVE to hear, not what you WANT to.

In the HK world, I think it easy for builders and "hobbiests" or "loyalists" (that's what we truly are!!) to become smug and arrogant, and expect to be care taken and caudled just like our weapons of choice. Bottom line is, Ralph provides an excellent service to an already dimishing industry and should be applauded, not bashed. As stated before, he and his boys will do ALL future work on my SP89 (i.e. paddle and markings). Ralph, keep up the great work and thank you!! Mike A A

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ralph did post the proper fix.

Weld the cocking tube on at the proper location, then move the forearm hanger to where the forearm will go on.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Thanks for your honesty Ralph!

Thanks HKAZ

I will post the circumstances on the 2 mentioned builds. We have done several 53 parts kit builds in the past and never ran into this problem. I talked with several dealers and owners of factory 53's and now know what the problem was. We even checked lengths on the 2 versions of cocking support for 53's. On both 53 builds using the factory parts we installed the cocking tube as far back as it would go and still enable the forearm hanger to accept the pushpin so the forearm would still be able to be pinned on. I examined both guns and if the cocking tube was moved further back to close up the .080-.100 gap that existed between the cocking support and front of bolt carrier the hanger would then be to far back and the forearm could not be pinned on. The .080-.100 gap at the cocking support made Boomfabs 53 hard to crack open and cock. We added .080 to the cocking support to fix this and as far as I remember it was indistinguishable to the eye.

The fix: We now figure the reason for the problem was perhaps HK welds on the forearm hanger after the cocking tube is attached to the receiver and that may explain the differences in parts kits. What we do now due to this experience on 2 53 builds with factory parts set is first install the cocking tube with hanger so we have the proper .020-.040 gap between carrier and cocking support THEN before welding if the hanger is to far back to facilitate the forearm pushpin we will then machine off the welds on the hanger and move it for a proper fit. As far as our HK53 markings they were made from digital images taken from HK German Dealer Samples.

HK53 Imp V2 for a build for less than the cost of a 53 parts set!
By the way RDTS now has the HK53 Improved Version 2! We just finished 10 of our redesigned HK53 Imp. builds. What you have now is a HK53 that looks identical to the factory externally BUT has a FULL COILED RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY (All the coils from a full sized 33/93) and a FULL 33/93 BOLT CARRIER. If you are lucky enough to have a HK 33/93 22 conversion unit it is a drop in on this gun. Also with the extra coils and bolt carrier mass of the 33/93 you have a weapon that will never stick on an overstuffed mag or beta drum. All the Factory locking pieces for the HK53 for various ammo can be utilized in this build. We supply it with a HK German #15 for standard ammo use.

We will post on our web site the pics from Boomfabs build and the specs and advantages of our HK53 Improved Version 2 builds in the near future along with live fire videos. We are sincerely sorry for Boomfabs experience. To our other client that had the similar problem we will be more than happy to reinstall the cocking tube, move the hanger and strip and refinish his weapon if he desires. We have been in business since 1981 and will never say we are experts or know it all, “An expert is a drip under pressure".

Ralph at RDTS

·
Registered
244 Posts
Check out "Kiefer"s post in the HK Talk forum if you want to know why I will continue to go with Ralph instead of other builders........

·
Registered
17 Posts
It looks amazing and ALWAYS draws a crowd at the range...almost to the point of being annoying!!
I know exactly what you mean. :)

Ralph did my K and SD. Excellent work and function!!! :83:

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Bottom line is, Ralph provides an excellent service to an already dimishing industry and should be applauded, not bashed.
I don't think anybody "bashed" Ralph. The question was asked about Ralph's 53 build (or others like TSC) and two people posted who had negative experiences with Ralph's work (which Ralph acknowledged was accurate). Seems like an honest response from both the customers and Ralph, not a bash.

With $5k+ invested in a 53 build (using a 53 parts kit), we here need to know the experiences, good and bad, that our fellow HKPro members have had.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think anybody "bashed" Ralph. The question was asked about Ralph's 53 build (or others like TSC) and two people posted who had negative experiences with Ralph's work (which Ralph acknowledged was accurate). Seems like an honest response from both the customers and Ralph, not a bash.

With $5k+ invested in a 53 build (using a 53 parts kit), we here need to know the experiences, good and bad, that our fellow HKPro members have had.
+1. I have several builds from Ralph on the 9mm platform. However I do not have one in terms of the 93/53 build. The 53 is a different animal in terms of its creation. Thanks guys for all of the input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts