HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day of my adolecense playing paintball (when payers looked more like soldiers, not energy drink billboards) we used to polish the bolt-heads in our paintball guns to a "chrome-like" finish to smoothen operation (plus it looked cool).

Anyone know if polishing the bolt-head on an HK roller-lock rifle has any adverse affect? I'm not overly concerned if the advantages are significant, rather want to know if it will create any problems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
?

I had my receiver, cocking tube, & carrier NP3'd but have not shot any other HK system so I cannot compare.

I don't think it would change much though since there is little contact. You may want a little bit of resistance to operation normally.....It would ease cleaning though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Polishing the bolt head should not change the function at all but make shure not to remove any metal from it so your head space does not change. Personally I would not polish my bolt head unless it was stained & looked real bad.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Polishing the bolt head should not change the function at all but make shure not to remove any metal from it so your head space does not change. Personally I would not polish my bolt head unless it was stained & looked real bad.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Arent the bolt parts hrdened? By the time you got it polished to "chrome" it wold have taken the top layer of hardened metal off. Wouldnt the polished metal be softer and more prone to ware? Maybe not... I did use a wire brush to dress all the contact areas of my bolt. It didnt polish it but it did smooth it out a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Arent the bolt parts hrdened? By the time you got it polished to "chrome" it wold have taken the top layer of hardened metal off. Wouldnt the polished metal be softer and more prone to ware? Maybe not... I did use a wire brush to dress all the contact areas of my bolt. It didnt polish it but it did smooth it out a bit.
It depends on whether they just case hardened the bolt or hardened it through and through. I don't know if it's hardened at all, but if they did I'd think it would be hardened throughout. Case hardening only protects from abrasion wear, complete hardening makes the entire part stronger, not just more wear resistant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It depends on whether they just case hardened the bolt or hardened it through and through. I don't know if it's hardened at all, but if they did I'd think it would be hardened throughout. Case hardening only protects from abrasion wear, complete hardening makes the entire part stronger, not just more wear resistant.
I'd bet money that HK parts are surface-hardened only--just like the vast majority of all the other military weapons in the world. I don't know how Ruger "through-hardens" their firearms, but I believe it is something of a compromise between hardness and toughness. My stainless Ruger Vaquero is "through-hardened" and seems damned-near indestructable. But it is more tough than hard; it picks up nicks and scratches quite easily. Your HK bolt head is probably very hard on the outside and nice and tough and ductile on the inside. If you managed to polish through the case-hardening, you'd do more than just compromise the durability of the bolt head. Headspace would be altered since most surface hardening on military firearms is more than several thousandth's of an inch thick. I know it is possible with exotic alloys to have a very strong part that is hard all the way through, but its per unit cost would be too high to use in a nation's battlerifles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts