HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the Roanoke area for the week, and then to D.C. I am looking for any good shops worth checking out. Also, is there anything to see in Sterling?

TIA
S.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I go to Blue Ridge and the NRA to shoot. Great ranges. Blue Ridge seems really expensive aside from that. Va Arms is where I do my transfers - those guys are awesome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like Blue ridge also. I am a member there and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 VA Arms in downtown Manassas and Air and Space Museum at Dulles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I made it to VA arms, it was a nice shop with plenty of HK. They even had 416 mags in stock. A little on the pricey side, but friendly.

S.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Virginia Arms is great.

Blue ridge is good for full auto rifle, only guys in town that allow it, but it has to be 5 rounds bursts or less.

I do subgun full auto at Shooters because they allow mag dumps.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Blue Ridge

I made my first visit to Blue Ridge with my MP5.

They seemed to be cool and checked my Form 4 before allowing me to shoot. Requested that I and the others in my group shoot no more than 5 round bursts at a time.

The RSOs walked around and did not bother me at all.

The cost is a little high but it is close to my hosue and they do allow FA shooting so I will get a family membership there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Back when Heckler & Koch was still in NoVA, I used to go to Sterling to visit the "Grey Room" and pick up brochures and other give-aways.

·
Registered
50 Posts
VA Arms in Manassas seems to be the cheapest shop in the noVA region. i checked out Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas (prices were a little bit higher), Gliberts in S-field(prices are a rip-off), Blue-Ridge (prices seem ok), and Loudon Guns (prices were ok).

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Gliberts in S-field(prices are a rip-off)
How so?

Monthly membership is $10 + $10/hour to shoot. Yearly membership ($215 to $235 with no hourly fees) comes with gun and accessory discounts, family plans, and guest passes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How so?

Monthly membership is $10 + $10/hour to shoot. Yearly membership ($215 to $235 with no hourly fees) comes with gun and accessory discounts, family plans, and guest passes.
I think he was referring to the prices of guns, not range/membership fees. The fees are VERY reasonable, IMHO; you'll be able to do better on the prices of guns off the internet and doing a $20 transfer w/Virginia Arms.

BTW, full auto is OK at Gilberts, and you don't have to shoot their ammo. You can pick up (your own) brass, too. No rifle-caliber rounds, tho.

I miss Shooters Paradise, but Gilberts is the next best thing in this area.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Very few shops can compete with internet prices. Prices are cheaper if you are a range member. Gilbert will do transfers from other dealers (but not distributers) for $25 (was $15 forever until a change in ownership).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gilberts lists two prices for their guns, one for members and the other for non-members. I'm not going to join to be a member just to get the lower discount. If I was buying multiple guns each month, then yeah, it makes sense. Their member only prices are a little higher than VA Arms.

Also I live closer to BlueRidge so that extra money I save by shooting at Gilberts, I end up losing it anyway with the gas costs to go to Gilberts.

Bottomline: VA Arms has the best prices around (in my opinion) and transfers are only $20. They don't carry much sporting long guns like hunting rifles/shotguns so I either buy online and transfer it through them or head down to Greentop near Richmond.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
And that's just fine for you. For me, Gilbert SAR is closer to me than any other range, and if lowest price is one's goal, then wait for the next show in Chantilly.

I just ordered a Henry Mini Bolt for my daughter's birthday. I called Gilbert SAR on a Tuesday, and they had it in their store on Friday. I got it for around $215 (discounted). For a range, there aren't many places in the Metro area that compare to Gilberts range fees, rules, and service (not to mention, they don't have the attitude we often see at many shops).

Gilberts lists two prices for their guns, one for members and the other for non-members. I'm not going to join to be a member just to get the lower discount. If I was buying multiple guns each month, then yeah, it makes sense. Their member only prices are a little higher than VA Arms.

Also I live closer to BlueRidge so that extra money I save by shooting at Gilberts, I end up losing it anyway with the gas costs to go to Gilberts.

Bottomline: VA Arms has the best prices around (in my opinion) and transfers are only $20. They don't carry much sporting long guns like hunting rifles/shotguns so I either buy online and transfer it through them or head down to Greentop near Richmond.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts