HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wtk how many members started with a sear and a host and thought "this is the ulitimate package and this is all I will ever need!".

Host rifles and pistols would be cool, but with the price of a sear and host itself I cant really afford anything more. The sear and the host will definately be enough. I would talk to other HK members and think they are crazy for having so many HK's.

A few months later.......I think I can afford another host

A year later.......I think I can justify another host

A few years later......maybe I should have another sear

The never ending future.......I think I ........

·
Registered
611 Posts
It all started one dark and dreary night when I was talking to a friend of mine......he was a class 3 dealer and we were talking about automatic weapons. Well I took the plunge and bought a sear.......and then I bought a HK 91, and then a 33...then an 94....then I bought another sear.........today two sears later and about 30 different variations of HK weapons I am about done buying. In addition to them, I have owned Mac 11/9, M16's, Uzi's, and a whole long list....I still own 2 AK47, 5 AR15's, 2 AR10's, FN/FAL's, and a few others. That and a stack of ammo.

And the sad thing about the whole thing is that I am so busy that I haven't had time to go shooting since March of this year. Sucks big time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I feel sorry for the guys that are getting in now or a few years ago. I got in when the sear catches were less than the host. Which allowed me to buy the host with the catch already in the pack.

At the time, for the money, it wasn't worth registering the host as an sbr to allow catch swapping between packs. Instead of 3 months wages pricetag now, I could afford one a month for the first year in the late 80's and still eat high on the hog.

So if money is no object, yes, you'll find yourself buying more hosts and then catches, I would imagine. Who wants to pull a trigger pack off and swap between guns. Because you'll take buddies/family along, and nobody likes to share! :>)

Be Safe
Gayle

·
Registered
162 Posts
In 1986 I was a senior in high school, I started reading S.O.F. and I saw the ad for the 91 guy in black in the swamp (I still have the ad in my collection) I loved the 91 but could never afford it. In 1988 I passed on a camo 91 with factory camo scope at a gun shop in OkC because they would not finance someone from over 100 miles away. 1989 Pres. Bush number one banned the imports of HKs so I forgot about Hks and started buying ar15s. Then after clinton started his ban I began looking at Hks again and slowly built up my collection. Then I realized that we civillians could own full auto, so I sold a HK 94, sp89, steyr aug usr and several ar15s to buy a sear. I then found myself having to rebuild my collection of Hks all over again. The sad thing was in 1994 I saw an ad in the okc paper for HK sears for 900 each. I passed to buy semi autos I paid almost 10 times that in 2003 to get my sear. I now wish I had bought more full auto and less semis back in the 90s, but oh well live and learn. My sear currently sits in a sp89 and I love it.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I've been on various boards for over 12 years, starting with the Machine Gun News message boards (the first major boards for C3 that I was aware of). I bought my first class 3, from Vollmer, an MP5A3 plastic SEF lower with a Fleming sear for $2,550. A couple years later I bought a Fleming sear for $375. A couple years after that I bought a sear for $650. Got my last sear for $1,100. I ended up with four Fleming/Qualified sears and a registered MP5 receiver (in addition to an AUG sear).

Back when sears were $375, I was just getting married and I thought, I'd like to buy a bunch of these, but after the $200 tax stamp, the price would have to go from $375 to about $600 for me to break even. And, that's if I didn't sell it out of state. It just didn't sound like a good investment. So much for my crystal ball.

You see, back in the early 90's, sears (including the tax stamp) were cheaper than an unmodified burst lower. Getting HK German machine gun parts were much harder than buying a sear (and more expensive). Even then, guys would buy one sear for several hosts. I would post, telling them not to be so cheap, get a sear for every gun, spend the extra $600 to $800. I thought having an SBR was the cheap-ass way to do things. You were already spending the $200 tax stamp for an SBR, why not add a sear for the same $200 stamp and make that gun whole? Who wants to bother moving a sear around just to save a few hundred dollars?

Also remember, most of your money went into the receiver. There were essentially no clones, except perhaps FMP or a few odd-balls. Well, I've gotten back in to improving my C3 collection, and now I've resorted to SBRing my guns...now I'm one of those cheap-asses. ;)

·
Atta' Boy!!
575 Posts
Naw, that's what my wife thought she heard me say!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I originally purchased my HK93 before my sear. Then I had a chance to try an MP5K and fell in love, then the fullsize MP5, then the HK21, then the HK51...............

The diesase continues to this day with no sign of stopping.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I wish I had purchased my MP5 back in 2003 when I first wanted one. They were about $12,000 but I could not justify the cost.

A few years later I went to the police range and was given the pleasure to shoot one and fell in love. I knew I had to have one!!

I asked my wife if I could buy one and first she said yes.. then she asked "How much is it?" I put if off for a while thinking about the cost. Seeing the price go up every month... she let me get one this spring. Then she said "Why didn't you get one when they were cheaper!!"

I am so lucky!

·
Registered
55 Posts
HK's

I ended up getting a sear that was divorced from a MP5 so I got a pretty good deal on it. I renovated a house and made a killing on it and figured now is the time to buy a sear. My next mission was to get various hosts. I had a MP5k which was high on the cool factor but sold it for a 416 upper. I now have a 53 and a 33k host that I'm trying to sell/trade for a RR M16. I came to this decision because I grab the MP5 (the best there is!) or my buddy's M16 first. My other hosts stay in the safe. My point is that I'm down with the sickness! Hopefully an M16 w/a 416 upper will be the cure!

·
Registered
86 Posts
My first NFA weapon was my MP-5

Second was a Colt 9mm CAR-15

Third was a MK760

Fourth was a Yugo Zastava M92 Krinkov

Fifth is in progress right now...a suppressor

They say the addiction subsides over time...but I have not reached that point yet....

LOL

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just brought fleming sear & MP5K-PDW so you know how much $$$$ I just spent...
When sear was only $4K a piece, I thought it was way too expensive and passed along... BIG mistake!
Well, at least I got one now and already looking for H&K MP5 and other clones for my sear host.
Until I own belt fed HK, MP5 10mm, MP5 .40 cal, MP5SD, HK 53, MK5... I wouldn't stop buying HK. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I started with a Colt M16 thinking that was the only MG I'd ever need/want. That didn't last long.....the addiction is overpowering ;)

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I started with a Colt M16 thinking that was the only MG I'd ever need/want. That didn't last long.....the addiction is overpowering ;)
Back in the day, a guy I knew offered me one or both of the factory in the box M16s he had...for $1,800 each. I turned him down. The paperwork process seemed too hard and I had no place to shoot rifles. Smart.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Back in the day, a guy I knew offered me one or both of the factory in the box M16s he had...for $1,800 each. I turned him down. The paperwork process seemed too hard and I had no place to shoot rifles. Smart.
Granted, I am only 30 years old, so I don't have some of the "deal I passed up" stories some of you have to tell, but I've passed up on a few items that I absolutely should not have.

I convinced my dad against buying an MP5 back in about 1998 because I believed the myth that ATF could come into your house at any time if you owned title-2 weapons. The price? $4500. Which was too high and in hindsight it was a clip-on registered receiver gun.

I decided against buying a MAC-11 for $750 from RPB back in 1999 when they were advertising them in Shotgun News. Why? Because once I paid the transfer tax and dealer transfer fees I could have purchased another Colt AR15....and I still believed the BS ATF story.

I passed up on a registered receiver converted Colt SP1 for $5500 in 2003. I just didn't have the money at the time.

I passed up on a DLO Sterling tube for $2500 in 2004 that my dealer had. Why? Because I didn't have any experience with the Sterling and didn't really want one that badly. Then my dealer and two of my buddies got their completed tube guns back from Andrewski. I fired theirs and about kicked myself for not buying one.

I've been eyeballing a factory correct HK21E built from a pushpin swing-down G3. If I weren't married and my wife wouldn't kill me for spending $30k on a firearm, it would already be in transfer to my dealer. I know I'll kick myself later for not buying it.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
You have passed up on a great many deals!!

I have the MP5 I longed for and was given the wife's blessing to get it.

Now I have the fever and want a MP5K to go with it!

I would have loved to been given the deals you had been given!!!

How do you sit down after kicking yourself in the backside daily!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts