HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Michigan we aren't allowed to own SBR's but I'd like to get my hands on an MP5SF. I've been debating on building a clone with a 16" barrel or picking up an HK94.

Question is... aside from forearm furniture, the "shelf" receiver, trigger housing and barrel, is the 94 essentially an MP5?... as I understand that the 94 was considered the first MP5...

So if I took an HK94, put on an MP5 forearm, a clipped & pinned lower and removed the barrel shroud, would I essentially end up with an MP5SF with long barrel?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
It is my understanding that many MP5s were created from an existing KH94. This was the case with mine.

This is why you have the ramp lower and not a real push pin.

All they did was add the trigger pack, shorten the barrel, and add a full auto bolt.

I am from Michigan... So happy I landed in Virginia where we can own anything.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
You would end up with a long barreled MP5. (Unsure of what you mean by the SF designation.) In this config, you could put a fa trigger pack on it but it would not have to remain on for legality. You can now have mgs in Michigan, right?
Another option is to have a smith put a MP5 barrel on it with a permanently attached fake can. It will "look good" and allow you options later should you move or the state laws change.

Bottom line is almost all parts on MP5s and HK94s are interchangeable as they are virtually the same gun, one being "civilianized".

·
Registered
232 Posts
SF is just a model designation that comes from the factory with a safe/semi only "FBI" lower and standard flash-hider. The receiver is still a push pin and the carrier is still a FA one.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll be in the market for an HK94 soon.

Yes, we can own F/A's in MI but I'm not ready to spend $12K+ on a registered sear just yet. Even if I did, I'm not sure it can be SBR'd... I still think it has to have a barrel of 16" or longer. If/when I'm ready for a sear pack, I'll have to call the MSP to find out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Question

I have a HK94SBR. I also have sitting in the safe, a SF lower (polymer, picotgram semi markings, clipped to fit my existing receiver with a fake push pin, but no paddle release. My questions being....

1. Can I use my existing HK94 trigger pack if a obtain the proper selector switch or do I need a FBI trigger pack?

2. How do I add a correct paddle mag release to that lower?

3. Who knows of a source for the FBI trigger pack if I need it?

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
1. Can I use my existing HK94 trigger pack if a obtain the proper selector switch or do I need a FBI trigger pack?

2. How do I add a correct paddle mag release to that lower?

3. Who knows of a source for the FBI trigger pack if I need it?
Not sure of what you're asking on #1

#2 The paddle release is added to the receiver, not the lower, contact Bill Springfield (BSPRING) here on this board.

#3 There are multiple places to buy FBI grip frames, Gordon Miller, Adam Webber, Robert at RTG to name but a few.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure of what you're asking on #1

#2 The paddle release is added to the receiver, not the lower, contact Bill Springfield (BSPRING) here on this board.

#3 There are multiple places to buy FBI grip frames, Gordon Miller, Adam Webber, Robert at RTG to name but a few.
I have the standard HK94 lower and trigger pack. I have removed the trigger pack and placed it in the FBI lower, but the selector switch doesn't fit in the plastic lower. If I get the correct selector switch, will the trigger pack function correctly?

Thanks for the referral to BSPRING.

·
Registered
150 Posts
for any one interested, i have fake suppressor thats from coharie arms, or black market parts that im trying get rid of. gonna do the mp5 as a pistol at this point so no need to extend the bbl out to 16" from 8" so if you do a short barrel (8) with a fake suppressor (+8=16) pushed and pinned on it for a rifle then ill sell it alittle cheap. and if you want a factory correct paddle release im having bushings that the paddle swings on and the pin goes into made. have an original and have a couple being made also on request. a competent smith can use this instead of a demilled bushing to install a factory correct paddle release with the semi shelf welded over it if you are going semi with it.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I don't believe the standard pack is compatible with the FBI picto lower

I have the standard HK94 lower and trigger pack. I have removed the trigger pack and placed it in the FBI lower, but the selector switch doesn't fit in the plastic lower. If I get the correct selector switch, will the trigger pack function correctly?

The standard HK94 trigger pack out of the metal lower is not compatible with the "FBI" pictogram pack to the best of my knowledge. The replacement of the longer selector lever by itself will not do the trick.

Also, Bill does a lot of great trigger work (did mine) but was unaware that he performed these paddle mag conversions as well. If he does, all the better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Personally, I can find no difference in the two trigger packs. One is out of a plastic lower and the right is out of a metal h&K 94 lower. Aside from using the longer axel selector, they seem to work fine in either lower. Full auto sear packs may have different requirements than just semi.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
If I get the correct selector switch, will the trigger pack function correctly?

Correct and you're welcome.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The standard HK94 trigger pack out of the metal lower is not compatible with the "FBI" pictogram pack to the best of my knowledge. The replacement of the longer selector lever by itself will not do the trick.
Correct and you're welcome.
Hmmmm......conflicting statements.....Shatteredminds says yes the standard HK94 trigger pack will work in a plastic lower with the correct selector switch and Viriceman says "no"

I am about to drop $495 on a complete lower later today or first thing in the morning....anyone got a tie breaker answer or clarification?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmmmm......conflicting statements.....Shatteredminds says yes the standard HK94 trigger pack will work in a plastic lower with the correct selector switch and Viriceman says "no"

I am about to drop $495 on a complete lower later today or first thing in the morning....anyone got a tie breaker answer or clarification?
It will work in an "SEF" plastic trigger housing, not a "pictogram" plastic housing.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts

No, not conflicting statements. Just nomenclature confusion.

None of the pictured packs are FBI lowers. The pack with the shorter selector works in a metal housing. The one with a longer selector works in a plastic non-ambidextrous housing.

The confusion is that there are two different types of plastic grip frames - the ambidextrous type that have pictograms on the side, and the non-ambidextrous type that have numbers or letters showing the different selector positions.

So everybody's right, they're just talking about different things.

·
Registered
266 Posts
No, not conflicting statements. Just nomenclature confusion.

None of the pictured packs are FBI lowers. The pack with the shorter selector works in a metal housing. The one with a longer selector works in a plastic non-ambidextrous housing.

The confusion is that there are two different types of plastic grip frames - the ambidextrous type that have pictograms on the side, and the non-ambidextrous type that have numbers or letters showing the different selector positions.

So everybody's right, they're just talking about different things.

Yes,Dave's right. The Ambi Trigger Pack Assembly parts cannot be interchanged with non-ambi assemblies and vice versa. They are two very distinct and different animals. If you want to swap from non-ambi to ambi, in short, you will need to buy 1) SF/FBI trigger pack housing/grip, 2) ambi-left and right selector levers, and 3) SF ambi trigger pack.
I wish I could take photos but will try to find a link to which I on file. Also, on both ambi housing and trigger pack you will see the "notch", into which the selector lever mates, at the opposite end to that on non-ambis.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts

Even worse, if you thought I couldn't add to the confusion...

There were several makers that produced PICTOGRAM SEF lowers and PICTOGRAM NAVY lowers... I've got one around here somewhere. Neither are ambi or four position.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Even worse, if you thought I couldn't add to the confusion...

There were several makers that produced PICTOGRAM SEF lowers and PICTOGRAM NAVY lowers... I've got one around here somewhere. Neither are ambi or four position.
Yep, that's confusing all right.

How can they be PICTOGRAM and SEF at the same time? Do they have both the pics and the letters?

But I was only refering to HK stuff. I don't own any clone anything (unless you consider Rheinmetall as a clone company).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts