HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a low profile rail (as in for a vertical hand grip) for an MP5 and also a mounting rail for optics. Any pointers? I have seen SureFire but, man does it look bulky. Also, what optics/scope should be considered for MP5. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
check out B&T, they are top notch if pricey. Surefire is fine too, I can't think of too many others I would trust on an mp5ish weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Looking for a low profile rail (as in for a vertical hand grip) for an MP5 and also a mounting rail for optics. Any pointers? I have seen SureFire but, man does it look bulky. Also, what optics/scope should be considered for MP5. Thanks!
+1 on the B&T. They make a mount and low profile ring specifically for my
MP5K that was low enough to offer a true co witness with my Aimpoint red dot optic. I think they offer the same set up for the Mp5; if that is something that interest you.

The co witness, if your not familiar with the term, meant that your red dot will sit right on top of the front iron sight. With the Aimpoint optic you can either sight this way or look thru the scope, either way the dot is on target!

·
1,239 Posts
For a railed fore grip, I would look into the Surefire rather than the Knight's. The Surefire is just as good and is 1/2 the cost of Knight's

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the pointers. Now, any optics suggestions?

Thank you Gentlemen. As far as the rail - it looks like a choice between B&T and SureFire. Now, how about some optics suggestions? I noticed Aimpoint being mentioned, is there anything else on the market that fits well with MP5? Also, if let's say Aimpoint is installed, does it render the standard sights on MPs useless as they are blocked?
Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have B&T and MFI optics rails as well as a Surefire M63 that I am not using if you might be interested.

Kattman from Michigan

·
1,239 Posts
I have tried an EoTech, but they sit too high on the MP5 for my liking, and do render the irons useless while the optic is installed.

The MP5 has a very low sight plane, which makes it difficult to get an optic low enought to allow for a co-witness.

The Aimpoint can sit low enough to get a co-witness with the irons, but you need to use the lowest mount and rings available.

It has been a long time since I shopped, but at the time, the only mount I found to sit low enough was the BT10266 for $109.95

Then you need a realy low profile ring to go with it. I wanted a throw lever ring, and the only one I could find low enough was the BT21530, but it is insanely expensive at $199.95

There is a thumb-screw ring available, AIM5224, which is only $23.95 (no pic available).

All of the above are available at DSArms.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cowitness may not be a requirement, especially if you get an aimpoint micro or M4 on a quick detach mount. They are both practically indestructible, the battery lasts on the order of 5 years, and if you do have to get it off the QD mount makes that simple. Try laruetactical.com for the mounts. Very quality stuff.

The other downside to cowitness is that a lot of your viewable area in the sight is blocked by the irons, kinda defeats the purpose. I've got a Micro T-1 on a LaRue QD mount on an MFI rail. Couldn't be happier. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Co-witnessing is very over rated. A major pain actually. Just get a good scope or red dot and a good QD mount. If it fails, just knock it off the gun and use the irons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts