HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I finally got my HK trigger group. I am new to class 3, MG's, that sort of thing, and was wondering what changes I need to do to turn my SP-89 into a MP5k-PDW. I know I have to get the paddle mag release, is that something I can do at home or do I have to send it away. Also I have seen the side folding stocks for sale on Gunbroker, Do I have to do any modifications to put this on my SP-89 (It's an original HK, not a clone). I already have the full auto bolt carrier. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I just saw a web site where the guy took photos of his conversion to add the paddle.

It is not an easy task and you unless your good with welding, grinding, and coating the metal... I would send it off to be done by someone who has done many and has already learned from his mistakes.. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would send the gun off to have the paddle mag put in. As far as the stock goes it will fit as long as it is has the two pin holes one on top and the other on the bottom. This will allow it to sit inside the receiver rather than surround the outside. Here is a link of a stock that will fit:
http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_p...ductCode=32&ProductSubCodeID=196&NewProduct=0

Just fyi, make sure that you are compliant with all laws so you won't run into any problems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
will one of those Tac Latches work?
The web site says they have them for the SP89. I have the original paddle, if I had to do it again I would not hesitate to go with the TacLatch. It only works for right handers though. For stocks I would look at the B&T. DS Arms has those.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the Taclatch will work.

Most of the folding stocks on Gunbroker are clones of the B&T and are junk. Get a real B&T from DSA Arms or the original HK style stock from Choate. The Choate is cheaper.

The front Kgrip on Gunbroker is OK.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I also like Tac-latch but for real MP5K look I would go with the ant-rattle paddle release.
Gunbroker K-grips are not German made (obviously) and the texture is little different than German made ones.
When I put that Gunbroker K-grip on my registered SP89, the color didn’t match w/ my German ambi-lower.
Functioning wise, they’re fine but since you spent that much $ on your SP89 why not spend little more $ and get German made K-grip.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
+1 on the B&T stock. Mine came with the Choate. It is about 3/4" longer than the Choate that I personally find helpful. Here is what it looks like:

·
Registered
70 Posts
kwesi,

Beautiful gun!!

How is that sling mount installed? I have a B&T on my PDW, but there is no sling mount there.

Thanks

David

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You could order one from DS arms. You also have to drill hole for that.
Please visit DS Arms' website under B&T products.
Hope it helps.:)

kwesi,

Beautiful gun!!

How is that sling mount installed? I have a B&T on my PDW, but there is no sling mount there.

Thanks

David

·
Registered
183 Posts
Last week I finally got my HK trigger group. I am new to class 3, MG's, that sort of thing, and was wondering what changes I need to do to turn my SP-89 into a MP5k-PDW. I know I have to get the paddle mag release, is that something I can do at home or do I have to send it away. Also I have seen the side folding stocks for sale on Gunbroker, Do I have to do any modifications to put this on my SP-89 (It's an original HK, not a clone). I already have the full auto bolt carrier. Thank you
I'm not sure which stock you're looking at, but I strongly recomend the B&T. It's a little more bulky than the Choate, but it's much nicer to shoot with. I assume you already have 3 or 4 position FCG housing. Are you planning to put a 3 lug barrel on it? I went with an Urbach barrel. IT was pricey, but nicely done. Other than all the things already mentioned, the last question is whether or not you plan to re-mark the gun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you buy a registered sear? From what I understand if you have a registered sear in and take it out of a sp-89 that you have put a stock on, it's then an illegal sbr- You might want to sbr the 89 it so you are ok if you take the pack out to shoot in another host...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Did you buy a registered sear? From what I understand if you have a registered sear in and take it out of a sp-89 that you have put a stock on, it's then an illegal sbr- You might want to sbr the 89 it so you are ok if you take the pack out to shoot in another host...
All you have to do is remove the stock and K grip, the SP89 reverts back to a pistol. Some may disagree with this but that is the way most people do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All you have to do is remove the stock and K grip, the SP89 reverts back to a pistol. Some may disagree with this but that is the way most people do it.

I agree, some just don't know, or forget, leaving themsevles open to problems-

Wasn't sure if the op was asking about just putting a stock on a sp-89, or using a reg sear, or what... He asks about a stock but than says he has a trigger group and a full auto carrier-

·
Registered
269 Posts
notwithstanding your vast experience, I have a different point of view after studying various cases collated by Bardwell. indictments have been made to stick, and affirmed during trial, based on the possession of the parts alone. it is not sufficient simply to dismantle. this is not to say that one couldn't own other combination of parts which would make such an example legal. but to own a single SP-89, plus sear, plus shoulder stock....only....is when you're walking on thin ice when the sear is removed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
notwithstanding your vast experience, I have a different point of view after studying various cases collated by Bardwell. indictments have been made to stick, and affirmed during trial, based on the possession of the parts alone. it is not sufficient simply to dismantle. this is not to say that one couldn't own other combination of parts which would make such an example legal. but to own a single SP-89, plus sear, plus shoulder stock....only....is when you're walking on thin ice when the sear is removed.
I agree with WH, I think when you get into trouble is when you have the parts in posession to make an SBR, but have no "legal" combination. For example: an SP89 pistol, and a k grip and stock, and no reigstered sear=that would be grounds for means to construct an illegal SBR. But if you had: SP89 pistol, k grip, stock and a registered sear and the stock, grip and sear were off the gun and the gun was in complete legal configuration, I don't think they could get you with intent to construct an illegal SBR. If you were caught with the stock and grip on the SP89 with the searpack not installed, then you'd be in trouble. As long as you have a means of legal contruction and the weapon isn't in illegal configuration, you are ok. I think this is what WH is saying and I agree.

·
Registered
43 Posts
but to own a single SP-89, plus sear, plus shoulder stock....only....is when you're walking on thin ice when the sear is removed.
Your analysis is absurd. If you have a legally registered sear plus stock and K grip you could not convince anyone your "intention" was to create an unregistered short barrel rifle.

You will need to return the gun to pistol configuration when the sear is removed. It's legal to own all the parts assembled or not. You just can't have the stock and K grip installed without the sear.

That's a good reason to get a pistol version of any caliber HK that will take the sear. You won't have to register as an SBR when the sear is moved to another weapon. You just return to pistol configuration.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i would agree on its absurdity, but bear in mind the the possession definition has already been decided; it's a legal issue, not an personal analysis.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts