HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bobcat Weapons BW5 9mm pistol, which is a semi-auto pistol version of the MP5 SMG.

The person that owned it before me had trouble with it, just as most all folks do with the majority of these MP5 clones. In thinking that he had a fix for the FTE problems the pistol had, he relieved the opening of the ejection port. He didn't open the port a bunch, just a bit more than spec. Cosmetically, it was a good job. BUT unfortunately, it is what it is and what's done is done. Needless to say, the mod has affected its value.

Since owning the gun, I have fixed the FTE problem with it by simply replacing the bolt's locking piece and have fired 6-30 round magazines so far through it with zip-point-zero malfunctions...using WalMart Winchester "White Box", S&B 124g FMJ and surplus 9mm ammo. It now runs 100%...just like it was supposed to do when it left the factory.

I've been thinking about selling it...so my question is what would be a good guess-timate value on this particular Bobcat Weapons BW5 9mm pistol given its modification to the port? Overall it is in 90% condition, only because of its age and RUNS 100%, too. When I do decide to sell it, it'll come with 7-30 round 30 rounders and 1-15 rounder. I think 3 of the 30 rounders are Korean after-market, the rest are factory H&K. I'll be throwing in a H&K slim-line forearm, too.

It is NOT for sale now, nor are the mags. I just wanted to get some help on its present value...or what a person in the market for one would pay for it.

Thanks for reading through my post here and I'd be grateful for all the help with its value that I can get, too.

Kimbo

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Kimbo,

Without photos it is difficult to asses the modification and how bad/good it is. With the lot of mags and slim forearm I would guess you could probably get $900 - $1000 for the package. Best of luck with the sale if you choose to sell.

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Like stated above would like to see pictures of mods. But these sell $1600-2000 check out Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com they show up and sell always from time to time.
No offense but $2,000 for a stock Bobcat pistol? That seems high to me. I bought two German MP5 parts sets with SEF trigger groups (one has an Action 3 bolt group) for $2,300 shipped, a couple of SW94 receivers for $135 each, with two pistol caps for $35 each and Jeff put them together for $500 each. So that is basically $1,800 each. So someone would pay $2,000 for a Bobcat? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just can't believe someone would pay that much for an early clone. Maybe there are guys that get into bidding wars and spend too much. I don't know. But more power to the seller.

OP, welcome to the forum. I guess put a dream world price on it. (see above) If it doesn't sell, move the price down $100 per week until it sells. I have to say, I personally would be worried about a gun that had the ejection port ground on. How that would help ejection would be a mystery to me. But it would make me wonder what else might have been "modified" in the gun. Good luck with your Bobcat project.

Scott

·
Registered
617 Posts
theres a bw5 rifle in the classifieds right now for $1600, and it doesnt seem to be drawing much attention.

the price would really depend on how soon you want to move it. as stated above, $900-$1000 would probably move it pretty fast, $2k and you may be sitting on it quite a while.

if I didnt already have one, I'd be sending you a pm now finding out if you wanted to sell. I love my bobcat and it has been very reliable since day one, its moved to 100% reliable with a HK ejector and extractor spring.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No offense but $2,000 for a stock Bobcat pistol? That seems high to me. I bought two German MP5 parts sets with SEF trigger groups (one has an Action 3 bolt group) for $2,300 shipped, a couple of SW94 receivers for $135 each, with two pistol caps for $35 each and Jeff put them together for $500 each. So that is basically $1,800 each. So someone would pay $2,000 for a Bobcat? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just can't believe someone would pay that much for an early clone. Maybe there are guys that get into bidding wars and spend too much. I don't know. But more power to the seller.

OP, welcome to the forum. I guess put a dream world price on it. (see above) If it doesn't sell, move the price down $100 per week until it sells. I have to say, I personally would be worried about a gun that had the ejection port ground on. How that would help ejection would be a mystery to me. But it would make me wonder what else might have been "modified" in the gun. Good luck with your Bobcat project.

Scott
Scott, No offense taken. $2000 happens pretty regularly. I watch the web market pretty regularly in my spare time. Here is a example for you.
BOBCAT WEAPONS MP5 CLONE Heckler & Koch Rifles > Tactical for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Jays Guns II. Buy or bid on this BOBCAT WEAPONS MP5 CLONE in the category Heckler & Koch Rifles > Tactical on GunsAmerica.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Black Market Parts barreled receiver. $650 9mm Standard Painted Barreled Upper

Bolt carrier group. $350 Bolt Group complete with recoil Spring (BMP5-101)

Pistol grip. $165 SF Semi Trigger Pack (BMP5-58)

Throw in a few random parts and you are looking at $1200 - $1400 for a complete new clone with the same parts the bobcat has.

Not knocking you but they are all special weapons parts. I would personally build before I purchased used with a ejection port mod for $2000.

Do what other poster said and start high, reducing $100 a week, disclose pictures of the port, and be open to offers. Someone might come along that has welding experience that is willing to swap out the receiver when they buy it.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts

Throw in a few random parts and you are looking at $1200 - $1400 for a complete new clone with the same parts the bobcat has.

Not knocking you but they are all special weapons parts. I would personally build before I purchased used with a ejection port mod for $2000.

Do what other poster said and start high, reducing $100 a week, disclose pictures of the port, and be open to offers. Someone might come along that has welding experience that is willing to swap out the receiver when they buy it.
Yeah, but can you say "Availability: Out of Stock" ? :wink:

·
Registered
364 Posts

Not disagreeing at all. Build is the way to go for sure. But take note that all parts listed are out of stock, witch is the case everywhere. Of course you can use HK parts from Adam or Gordon, they are in stock. But you have to locate a barreled receiver. They have dried up. BTW Bobcat Weapons was not a TB operation as suggested. Bobcat Weapons did use SW receivers. Only a few parts were purchased from TB companies, due to supply and demand. As did most builders over the past decade. Check into it. Speaking of supply and demand....................hince the prices of clones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks to all of you gentlemen...I am grateful for all of the help and prices, too. Even though the receiver has been modified a little bit, it is still a semi-auto MP5 clone that RUNS...and THAT in and of itself is worth a lot to some folks who may be looking for one and don't mind overlooking this gun's slight mod...of which I couldn't figure out how to post a pic of.

Thank you again and I appreciate the welcome, as well.

Kimbo

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I don't want to get into this debate, but just want to make a couple of points:

1. Prices on Guns America are typically inflated notably higher than can be easily found elsewhere.
2. Watching the web market is not nearly as good of an indicator as participating in the web market. We always see the asked for price but seldom ever hear the actual sell price.

Anyway, this is just like anything else. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. If the OP is in no particular hurry to part with the gun, I'd start at $1600-$1800. Then be ready to take as low as $1200. I'd try to hold out for at least that much if it's really working well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't want to get into this debate, but just want to make a couple of points:

1. Prices on Guns America are typically inflated notably higher than can be easily found elsewhere.
2. Watching the web market is not nearly as good of an indicator as participating in the web market. We always see the asked for price but seldom ever hear the actual sell price.

Anyway, this is just like anything else. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. If the OP is in no particular hurry to part with the gun, I'd start at $1600-$1800. Then be ready to take as low as $1200. I'd try to hold out for at least that much if it's really working well.
I think that there is a big difference between people in the "know" or not. For a lot of people (me a few years ago for sure) the thought of buying a receiver, a parts kit, and shipping it off is daunting. Also, a warranty is pretty important to some consumers. I agree that a build is a much better deal...but honestly, we being in the "know" having spent countless hours on this board and others sets us apart from the average Joe firearm consumer.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think that there is a big difference between people in the "know" or not. For a lot of people (me a few years ago for sure) the thought of buying a receiver, a parts kit, and shipping it off is daunting. Also, a warranty is pretty important to some consumers. I agree that a build is a much better deal...but honestly, we being in the "know" having spent countless hours on this board and others sets us apart from the average Joe firearm consumer.
Thats a pretty good point.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
I was pricing out configuring a K pistol beginning with a
BMP Barreled/painted receiver:

K parts*
CA89K upper 685
Used HK Selector 14
End cap 34
Semi trigger pack 150
HK C/p lower. 140
US/ German Complete Bolt Group 460

Total $1,483 + shipping

The last closed auctions at GB IIRC were between $1,000 - $1,400 BUT when you adjusted the price down for all the xtra's @ the high end (A3, German parts, xtra mags) it was closer to $1,000.

I wanted to purchase good buddy's Bobcat ONLY because it was a FTF pistol sale & I knew it ran FA. To me that is worth a little more. He decided to hold on to it.

I also agree to have it built by one of our smiths here is a great option to avoid the "clone blues".

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I was pricing out configuring a K pistol beginning with a
BMP Barreled/painted receiver:

K parts*
CA89K upper 685
Used HK Selector 14
End cap 34
Semi trigger pack 150
HK C/p lower. 140
US/ German Complete Bolt Group 460

Total $1,483 + shipping

The last closed auctions at GB IIRC were between $1,000 - $1,400 BUT when you adjusted the price down for all the xtra's @ the high end (A3, German parts, xtra mags) it was closer to $1,000.

I wanted to purchase good buddy's Bobcat ONLY because it was a FTF pistol sale & I knew it ran FA. To me that is worth a little more. He decided to hold on to it.

I also agree to have it built by one of our smiths here is a great option to avoid the "clone blues".
I got one of the unfinished barreled uppers. Worked great in bare metal. Worked great painted green. And is working great now painted BBQ grill black. The only problem I've had with it so far was a single FTF with an ancient straight mag.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
retro: what is the bolt gap & are you using HK, RCM, etc bolt group? My BWP full size (MP5) painted/barreled upper runs great with RCM bolt/carrier but the bolt gap needed minus rollers. Don't have the specifics at the moment.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
retro: what is the bolt gap & are you using HK, RCM, etc bolt group? My BWP full size (MP5) painted/barreled upper runs great with RCM bolt/carrier but the bolt gap needed minus rollers. Don't have the specifics at the moment.
I've tried it with both a HK bolt head/POF carrier combination and a full RCM bolt assembly. The HK/POF assembly has a Coharie recoil spring assembly and the RCM has the HK MP5K recoil spring assembly.

I think I paid about $650 for the barreled carrier.

An HK factory curved mag fits kind of tight, but can still be inserted and removed fairly easily. The factory straight mags fit real nice as they are a bit smaller than the curved ones. I've run a few of the straight mags in the gun and they worked perfectly. They are all old and have dates on them from the 60s and 70s I think. So I'm not too confident as to their condition.

Bolt gap looks about normal. But I haven't measured it in a while. I'm getting pretty good at eye-balling the bolt gap and determining if I need to check it or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts