HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I may have come across a used Vector Arms MP5/40 pistol built by Vector. I need to know the value on them for resale, as it's a fairly good deal but my wife will only sign off on it if I can make money IF I sell it.

Seller lists it has a German SEF pack in a lower, but not sure how to tell that. What would you, as a buyer, estimate the resale value as? It's a pistol build so the front 3-lug isn't pinned and welded over.

·
Registered
651 Posts
There's been some that keep getting relisted on GB for about $2500 without selling so certainly need to get it well under that.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
About $2200

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The value of them varies wildly. If its made with mostly US parts, I've seen them go for 750-1100. If its a Vector V89-40 receiver made on an all german .40 parts kit, then it can be valued upward of 2,000$. A lot depends on who it was built by. The build quality varies as well.

It most likely does have a SEF pack, but to tell the origin can be tricky since parts can be moved from pack to pack. More than the trigger pack, i'd be concerned with the bolt group and barrel/trunion. The Vector/SW .40 bolt groups are known to be better paperweights. The Older SW barrels had some barrels with undercut flutes that will make operation unreliable. Some of the Vector kit trunions have been soft as well.

Proceed with caution

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Looks like a Vector parts set build to me. I've heard various stories as to why Todd (Special Weapons/Tactical Weapons) sold all those Vector parts sets. I heard that one of Vector's owners had some legal problems over an ammo deal. My understanding is, there was a contract for some 7.62X39 for Iraq through the US Government. The contract specified no Chinese ammo. Chinese ammo was purchased, sent through another country, and was repackaged. I've also heard that the kits were so far out of spec, Vector rejected them. Be that as it may, the sets originally sold of $400 each minus the firing pin.

To me the biggest issue is who built the kit? Did the seller ever shoot it? How did the seller get it? I've had nothing but trouble with the MIMS bolts. I bought some RCM .40 caliber bolts to replace the original bolts. I've got a CA89-40 and a couple of the Vector V89-40 SDs that ghilliebear is building for me. I'm working an outage at a power plant 300 miles from home. The RCM bolts came in two days before I left so I haven't actually tried it yet, but it did hand cycle much smoother. Once you get your pistol, if it has the original MIMS bolt, I'd highly recommend changing it with a RCM from HK Parts. I'd check roller size and bolt gap. The two V89-40 SD kits I bought had undersized rollers. My CA89-40 ran for about 400 rds. The bolt got to have so much drag that the rounds would just dribble out. That is using my sear and a stock. I'd think in a pistol configuration, would be that many more function problems. It is harder to hold this style of pistol firmly than it is to shoot it as a shoulder fired carbine. After changing the bolt, it it doesn't run, I'd send it to Jeff (ghilliebear2000 here on this board).

Once you get it, another thing to check for is the size of the chamber. Some of the .40 caliber chambers are over sized. The round can wiggle around in the chamber. This can be another contributing factor for function. Good luck with your .40 caliber pistol.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts