HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ban era X-91 that worked fine in the HK91 I used to have, but it won't lock into my PTR PDW and I was wondering if anyone has any luck or pictures of modifying it to fit the PTR? I know I can buy the PTR version from HK parts, but I already have this mag sitting here and I've got some time until my carriers get welded up.

Thanks,

·
Registered
571 Posts
You will have to file it down to fit.
If it is a real hk drum i would not file it.
Also if you are shooting the pdw as a pistol the drum makes it a pita as it interferes with your support grip hand instead. High cap mags like 30 & 40 round mags work much better imho.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
On mags and clone HKs...

Whether or not you file on the gun OR file on the mags is left up to one item. DO you have or plan to get more than one gun of a particular caliber? OK... so your drum doesn't fit the PTR. Ask yourself ... do regular mags fit well or are they kinda "just right"? They should rattle a bit. A perfect fitting mag is a just barely fitting mag. Does the drum or do the mags fit looser in another 308 clone? What we are trying to determine is whether the mag is correct or the mag well into which it must fit.

Ten times outta nine, the mag well bottom lip is not correct. I know, I know... the Coharie Arms guns had misplaced mag catches on one particular run... but then we aren't talking about 9mm guns now, are we? Making clone guns is all about gunsmithing. Making sure the length of the mag well is correct is just part of the process. If the mag well is too long, the magazine will not lock in. It'll be almost there... but not quite. A belt sander or a file will do the trick. Be sure to have the gun broken down as far as possible. You do not want super fine metal filings getting into the works... axe me how I know.

If you work on the mags instead... then those mags will fit THAT GUN ONLY, and at best, fit other similar caliber guns poorly. Much better to keep the standard sized magazine as is and adjust the gun to fit the mag. Making the mag fit the gun means you'll have to keep the magazines separate or marked accordingly in case you get another gun in the same caliber.

My 53K ran with one 40 round mag... none of the others fit. However I had two other 223 clones as well. And all the mags interchanged well. You could use all the 40 rounders and a couple 100 rd Beta drums in either the HK-33 or the Vector 53 with no issues. So rather than file the mag stop on the mag, the only possible solution was to fit the 53K to the rest of the mags. Only needed to take a few thousandths off the BACK of the mag well and then everything fit into the 53K.

If you have only the one PTR and do not plan on getting anything else is 308, then go the easier route... take a bit off the mag stop. That way you won't be sweatin' refinishing the gun.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I broke out the calipers tonight and the drum is about .067" wider and . 020" longer than all the 20 and 30 round magazines I have on hand. Hopefully my back will get better this week and I'll be able to take the belt sander to the drum.

The PTR is the only 308 sear host I have right now and as long as I keep the dimensions in line with all the factory HK magazines I already have. I hope to get a MM11 one day, but that'll have to wait a while so dedicating a mag just to this gun wouldn't bee too bad.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'd give it a good smack if it was mine. lol. I've had a few issuses with some of these clones magwells over the years, but nothing a hammer and piece of key stock couldn't fix. I know some of you guys would kringe at doing this, but it a lot cheaper than paying someone to do the same damn thing.
Erick, send me an e-mail with some pics of the drum as far in the magwell as it can go. I'm sure I can help you.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My PTR is pretty tight with all mags.. but it works well so I am not going to mess with it. Ditto to a good hard slap, keeps it in line

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I'd give it a good smack if it was mine. lol. I've had a few issuses with some of these clones magwells over the years, but nothing a hammer and piece of key stock couldn't fix. I know some of you guys would kringe at doing this, but it a lot cheaper than paying someone to do the same damn thing.
Erick, send me an e-mail with some pics of the drum as far in the magwell as it can go. I'm sure I can help you.
Assume you are expanding the mag well a tad?

On a side topic, what does one need to due to make the mag well longer (i.e. keep the mag from coming up too high) ...

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Hope you're good at bodywork... weld some material to both sides of the mag well, trim/file to fit, then back fill the welds and dress them off. Then whip out yer favorite rattlebomb can of paint to protect the metal until you decide to refinish the gun.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Assume you are expanding the mag well a tad?

On a side topic, what does one need to due to make the mag well longer (i.e. keep the mag from coming up too high) ...
You shouldn't ever need to add material to you magwell. I never seen a JLD/PTR receiver that needed this done to it. If it does, sent the gun back to PTR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts