HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an H&K owner yet, but read on....

Five years ago I was in the market for a full-sized 9mm for open carry, home defense, and range use. I looked at Springfield XDs, Beretta Px4, FNP, CZ-75 and Baby Desert Eagle, EAA EZ, etc. I wanted to like the Walther P99, but could only find the QA trigger and I wanted the AS. I liked the Steyr M9-A1 except for that stupid Austrian grip angle. I thought the H&K USP was bulky and overpriced. The P2000 was better, but still overpriced. Finally, a great deal came along on a Smith & Wesson M&P9, so I settled on that. And while I like the M&P, I can't honestly say I love it. I can't quite put my finger on why. Partly, it's because it's no more accurate than my concealed carry gun, despite its longer barrel and longer sight radius. But there's more to it than that. Trying to salvage the relationship, I installed the Apex Tactical DCAEK trigger kit. This improved the trigger but not the accuracy, and "like" still didn't blossom into "love."

About 2 years ago I held an H&K P30 and fell in love. The grip shape was perfect. I liked the mag release--no need to shift my grip. I liked the look. The trigger seemed pretty standard for a DA/SA--not as good as a Sig, but certainly no worse than the M9s I've shot. I finally got to shoot one last summer and discovered it was smooth and scary accurate. The only thing not to love is the price. So I wrestle with this for another year. Being a cheap S.O.B., I am loathe to spend $2 on something that does the same basic job as something that costs $1. The M&P does the job. I love the P30, but do I love it twice as much as my M&P? For $400, could I learn to love my M&P?

Finally, I rationalized it this way: so far, I only own striker-fired 9mms. I don't have a hammer-fired DA/SA in my "collection" (2 pistols), and I don't have a .40. I should diversify. Yeah, that's it. The P30 is a smooth shooter, so if replace my M&P9 with the P30 in .40, I can solve both "problems." And if the trigger isn't so great, for an additional $75-315 I can have a gunsmith improve it (although I object on principle to spending additional money to "improve" a gun that costs $900 to begin with. Cheap S.O.B., remember?). So, having invented justification to spend such a ridiculous amount of money, now I can sleep at night while I funnel my per diem into my P30 fund.

Then along comes the Walther PPQ. The ergonomics look comparable to the P30's. Everyone is raving about the crisp, short-reset trigger--"perfect right out of the box." Lifetime warranty. Opinion seems evenly split among people who've fired/owned both the P30 and the PPQ. It costs about the same as an M&P, which is $350 less than the P30 ($500 less if you count the trigger job), so it appealed to my inner Cheap S.O.B. Is the PPQ the gun that the M&P could/should have been? I didn't have a chance to hold one for a long time, but finally, I got to fondle one in my LGS. The trigger didn't feel any better than my DCAEK M&P, although the reset was more pronounced. The ergos weren't much better then the M&P, except I love the extended mag release lever. I've never fired it, but the post-fondling verdict: not significantly better than the M&P.

So, after my brief distraction with die andere Deutschlanderin, I'm back to counting the days until that P30 V3 is mine mine mine (probably November).

·
Registered
628 Posts
You should have went with the Px4 Storm, it has no recoil, even in .45. Wait this is an HK forum, I mean, that P30 is gonna do you nicely.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Welcome! I have both the P30 and PPQ so I know exactly what you are going through. I have always been a hammer-fired gun guy but I love the Walther PPQ!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should have went with the Px4 Storm, it has no recoil, even in .45. Wait this is an HK forum, I mean, that P30 is gonna do you nicely.
I wanted to like it, but meh. Ergos were disappointing, and it jammed a couple times (rental, but it appeared clean). I wouldn't mind trying a Cx4, but they're impossible to find.

P.S. Bruce Campbell rocks. ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
TooSixy said:
Welcome! I have both the P30 and PPQ so I know exactly what you are going through. I have always been a hammer-fired gun guy but I love the Walther PPQ!
DUNDEM said:
PPQ is better out the box than M&P. The trigger on the PPQ is one of the best strikers I've shot.
The PPQ is very underrated.
You guys are not helping. My resolve is still very fragile. The last thing I expected was a bunch of guys on HKpro to feed my Cheap S.O.B. and "talk up" something besides an H&K! WTF? ;-) Maybe the folks on the Walther forum will try to talk me into the P30?

·
Registered
628 Posts
You guys are not helping. My resolve is still very fragile. The last thing I expected was a bunch of guys on HKpro to feed my Cheap S.O.B. and "talk up" something besides an H&K! WTF? ;-) Maybe the folks on the Walther forum will try to talk me into the P30?
PPQ? Overrated. P30 is where its at, and the P99. But thats a different discussion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I am now officially one of you, and H&K can officially start to hate me because I suck. I managed to pick up a used P30 V3 in great condition off GunBroker (for only a $100 more than a new PPQ), so my inner cheapskate has been mollified. I've already replaced the firing pin block spring with the new, lighter one (thanks to Big Bore for the instructions & photos) and tweaked the grip panels to my liking. First trip to the range was as expected--great fit, great accuracy, flawless function (with Speer GD and cheap Blazer), mediocre trigger. I'm still fine-tuning the fit of the Kilpatrick Compact Undercover holster, but once that's where I want it the P30 will become my "winter carry" gun. I'll probably eventually get a SERPA for open carry as well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Great choice & I like your reasoning, also your being cheap about the deal. Good job finding a used model. If it's in great shape, you had someone else break it in for you and that's about all. I found a used P30LS V1 in 40 the same way, and it is my favorite range gun. My daily carry is the P2000sk, I'm more of a small frame person, but the P30 is a wonderful weapon, reliable and seems to like shooting anything i can put through it. I do draw the line at the Russian ammo (steel case stuff) as the Germans & Russians never did get along anyway. You may find the trigger grows on you as you spend more time with it.

About the Serpa holster, you may want to look at other options, as these do have a few issues from time to time. There have been a couple of discussions about the retention mechanism & trigger finger use (see video for information). i just ****ing shot myself - YouTube

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About the Serpa holster, you may want to look at other options, as these do have a few issues from time to time. There have been a couple of discussions about the retention mechanism & trigger finger use (see video for information). i just ****ing shot myself - YouTube
I've used a SERPA for years for my M&P, and wore my M9 in a SERPA drop-leg every day for the last year. Never a problem. You can only shoot yourself if you're doing it wrong (gotta love that unambiguous feedback it gives you).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.