HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard if HK plans to make a steel or aluminum frame option for us handgun users that would like the weight of it especially with shooting the VP9L. Even if it was gutless where we could just swap the parts. I think a lot of the other Manufacture are going in this direction. I wish for once someone at H&K would put H&K on the map first as its been may years since this has been done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reactions: Lindley and USP/P30

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The biggest thing that HK has done to increase pistols sales is to lower their prices substantially. Making all metal pistols would go counter to that. I also doubt there is any interest in such for their military and law enforcement agency customers which always has been a primary driver for them, The steel frame PPQs from Walther are nice but I don't think they are selling very well and comments from Walther PPQ poly frame owners are that they would love to own one but not at "that very high price point". They are selling some for competition use but that is a very small percentage of their sales and competition shooting seems to be highly impacted by Covid 19 right now with the severe ammo shortage which may last for an extended time yet..

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
My Beretta 92: I don't think its nice - you laughing. See, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now, if you apologize, like I know you're going to - I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The biggest thing that HK has done to increase pistols sales is to lower their prices substantially. Making all metal pistols would go counter to that.
What he said... my first thought was that these guns are already expensive enough (minus the VP series). Adding an machined steel/aluminum frame would jack the price up significantly.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I hope so, A steel framed HK would be a must buy for me.
What he said... my first thought was that these guns are already expensive enough (minus the VP series). Adding an machined steel/aluminum frame would jack the price up significantly.
Totally agree with this comment from Skullbox!! I’m also thinking Sig is going crazy. They simply keep pumping out this and that combination like their guns are adult Lego block mix and match toys. Quality is definitely suffering IMHO. I’m actually very proud of HK for “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude and retention of quality!!!! 👏🏻👏🏻 Good job HK!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
While I personally enjoy machined metal frames, it only makes sense for Sig in the context of the fire control group so you can have your preferences regarding how you want your non-registered frame to mate up against your registered FCU. For H&K, as stated, all this would do is dramatically increase cost for no significant benefit. If they're going to bring back metal frames, bring back the P7 series, poly P30's and VP9's are fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It makes sense for Sig to make a metal frame because it's not a firearm. The serialized part is the fire control group. Now people who have already spent hundreds on a polymer-framed pistol can not buy a metal one without getting an FFL involved and swap in their FCG.

So it's cheaper to make simply because it's just a part and serialized part that requires record-keeping, and there's a built-in market with all of the 320's they've already sold with polymer frames.

IMHO HK should make a pistol with a serialized removable fire control group, first.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If Hk makes a steel frame model, wouldn’t be surprised if it takes on the usp or p2000. Just since the shape would be an easy shape to maintain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m also thinking Sig is going crazy...
I'm increasingly agreeing with this sentiment, and I say that as someone who owns several classic Sigs that I'll never part with. So let me get this straight -

They add an aluminum frame to a P320 and it suddenly costs almost twice the price?

As far as I can tell, there isn't anything else that's special about it. The polymer 320s already have optics plates on them, and the 320 "Legion" flat trigger is just a flat trigger, as far as I can tell - it doesn't have any additional tuning or special sauce included.

Seems kind of crazy, but they'll probably sell.

Reactions: mlockman

·
Registered
315 Posts
Once again, Walther was ahead of the game and now other companies are trying to catch up. Perhaps HK should take notes from that other German gun company.

That being said, I don't think that they shouldl do metal-frame pistols. As stated, the cost would hurt sales too much to be worthwhile. I am merely commenting that Walther has been really good at reading the market over the years. (The P99 having the common/modern polymer pistol features before they were cool, the PPQ trigger, the PPS starting the single-stack craze, PPQ metal frames, etc.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Beretta keeps grinding out 92 variants that have different metal frames (M9, M9A1, 92A1,92X, 92X Performance, Vertex, etc...), I don't see this being that complicated or expensive. There may be a market for it considering the 92 keeps selling. I have a 92A1 and its a smooth shooting gun. The slide feels like its on ball bearings.

I don't think Sig's P320 drop in fire control group is that revolutionary. The roller locked rifles and machine guns have had a drop in fire control group since the beginning. Dare I say, Sig copied HK. HK did it first. Considering that no one ever asked for a modular handgun system like that before I suspect thats why it was never done.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Beretta keeps grinding out 92 variants that have different metal frames (M9, M9A1, 92A1,92X, 92X Performance, Vertex, etc...), I don't see this being that complicated or expensive. There may be a market for it considering the 92 keeps selling. I have a 92A1 and its a smooth shooting gun. The slide feels like its on ball bearings.

I don't think Sig's P320 drop in fire control group is that revolutionary. The roller locked rifles and machine guns have had a drop in fire control group since the beginning. Dare I say, Sig copied HK. HK did it first. Considering that no one ever asked for a modular handgun system like that before I suspect thats why it was never done.
Beretta and SIG were already tooled up to make metal-framed pistols. The 92 series remains Beretta's best seller and SIG's factory is set up for mass production of many variants of handguns at once.

HK is neither set up for mass production of multiple types of firearms at once nor are they set up for production of metal-framed handguns.

HK also has a much smaller production operation than many people realize, especially when compared to a company like Beretta, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Beretta and SIG were already tooled up to make metal-framed pistols. The 92 series remains Beretta's best seller and SIG's factory is set up for mass production of many variants of handguns at once.

HK is neither set up for mass production of multiple types of firearms at once nor are they set up for production of metal-framed handguns.

HK also has a much smaller production operation than many people realize, especially when compared to a company like Beretta, there is no comparison.
Thanks for your comment, makes sense.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I totally agree with this. Right on!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
+1 P-M!
Fundamental manufacturing/marketing progression, they already have bought/paid-for tooling implemented = same/same Beretta 92xyz and now a friggin’ Sig Nightmare Series. In parallel, HK’s version is VP9xyz for cryin’ out.

Who’s copying who (and why re-invent the wheel), HK isn’t above suspicion – roller-locked/modularity was originally a Spanish CETME design, adopted/licensed into the HK-G3.
HK’s primary bread winner are their select-fire products. Unless a metal frame non-Mil/LE contract is Made-in-USA and to compete with what’s already in the wild, I don’t believe the boardroom sees this viable anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts