HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newly purchased C93 continues Century Arms legacy of unloading defective goods on consumers. Cosmetically, the gun appears acceptable. Decent welds, site's not canted, ect. Bolt gap before firing was .011. After 120 rounds its now @ .009. Cleaned the hell out of it before firing. Numerous failure to fire. The weapon only seems to malfunction on the first chambered round. Click.. but no bang. The gun seems to not completely go into battery. A nudge will get it there. If I eject the chambered round, and chamber the next, the gun usually fires and until mag is empty. Tried loading only 10 rounds or so, Same results with both mags. The Gun only seems to malfunction when charging from the cocking tube. To be sure, I'm not riding the cocking handle down. I learned to operate this design rifle using my real HK 93A2. I'm debating weather or not to send it back to century. Im afraid they will try some third wolrd repair or swap it for another even less desireable that I'll have to pay yet another FFL transfer fee on. Returning it to my place of purchase (gunbroker) not an option. Even though the seller has a brick and morter store, he won't take it back. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am assuming you are using the HK slap on the bolt handle to charge the rifle.

A couple of places to check that got my C93 working better:
After you check that you are unloaded and chamber is clear, Check the lug recesses in the trunnion to see if there is anything gritty with you finger though the mag well. Wipe it out with a lightly oiled patch (to make things stick better to it) with you finger tip. Mine did have some grit.

Take out the bolt carrier and hold it in your had looking at the bolt face. Then remove the bold head from carrier by rotating it counter clockwise 1/4 turn and pull it off. Mine had some crappy oil in here and after I wiped everything down and re lubed it made a big improvement.

If you are still not getting it to go into battery (unloaded) then I would assemble it with out the trigger group and slowly cycle the carrier to see if there are any tight spots in the receiver causing drag. Try again with trigger group and yes, you will feel it going over the hammer. Any weird marks on the ejector from rubbing?

Just a few thoughts

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Just quit shooting it and look at it only. Ammo is too expensive to use anyway. So just keep it as a touch and feel rifle. then it is a great bargain.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My newly purchased C93 continues Century Arms legacy of unloading defective goods on consumers. Cosmetically, the gun appears acceptable. Decent welds, site's not canted, ect. Bolt gap before firing was .011. After 120 rounds its now @ .009. Cleaned the hell out of it before firing. Numerous failure to fire. The weapon only seems to malfunction on the first chambered round. Click.. but no bang. The gun seems to not completely go into battery. A nudge will get it there. If I eject the chambered round, and chamber the next, the gun usually fires and until mag is empty. Tried loading only 10 rounds or so, Same results with both mags. The Gun only seems to malfunction when charging from the cocking tube. To be sure, I'm not riding the cocking handle down. I learned to operate this design rifle using my real HK 93A2. I'm debating weather or not to send it back to century. Im afraid they will try some third wolrd repair or swap it for another even less desireable that I'll have to pay yet another FFL transfer fee on. Returning it to my place of purchase (gunbroker) not an option. Even though the seller has a brick and morter store, he won't take it back. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
1st -Make sure the bolt group moves freely in the receiver. If it does, try swapping your recoil rod from your HK93 into your c93 to see if that helps. May just be a weak recoil spring.

You don't have to pay for another tranfer fee if you send it back to Century. The gun is already registered to you so no need to do another transfer. They will send you a form authorizing them to ship it directly to you. They will send you a (RAN), return authorization # after the request for repair.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The receiver and bolt group are exceptionally clean. No grit. The reciever slides pretty smoothly without the trigger group. Smooth with the trigger group. It clicks faily smoothly into battery with a firm push. No perceivable hang up. No rubbing marks. I did notice what appear to be grind marks on the underside of the bolt head. Not on the face, but along the lower edge below the rollers running the length of the head. Both sides of the head Maybe wear from its previous life ? Maybe done to fit receiver ? Also, (you got Me looking) I just noticed a small buldge on top of the receiver one inch behind the ejection port, 12 oclock position. Not easily spotted but there. Put a straight edge on it to confirm it exists. Any cause for concern ? THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR IN PUT !

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Here's my take. You read the reviews. You knew the risks. You still bit. That seems to be more of a bad reflection on you than the company. If you buy it for what it is, a good start to a great rifle, then it's cool. If you don't get that or if that wasn't your intention, then why'd you buy it? Not trying to be smartass but it's kinda common sense. And these threads are really starting to clutter up this forum.

·
Registered
367 Posts
WOW, Century USED to be an OK company!! I would just stick with Vector. My V93 only cost a little more and shoots great!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Your vector costs $500 more... That's more then a 'little'.

As for what to try... If you have an unloaded mag, and allow the carrier to slam, does it go fully in to battery or does it still hang? My fathers century hangs, but only on a full 40rd mag. Anything else is fine. My century was fine until I raped it for parts for my Baby Dragon from Jeff...

Use a flash light and check it all.

Also, remove the trigger pack, replace the end cap. Insert an empty mag and see if it hangs...

If it still hangs that would be magazine fitment with the bolt head dragging. The second test should only be done at the range and ouly assuming the previous test was successful.

With the trigger pack removed, place a loaded magazine in and drop the bolt to see if it successfully strips a round an goes fully in to battery.

With these tests, we can eliminate the trigger pack being the problem, and determine if it's the magazine fitting or the pressure on the bolt head from a full mag.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Now wait a minute, $499 is not too bad for a parts kit with a barrel.............
I have an RCM barrel already so all I need are the other parts and not even all of them since mine will be an A3 with a rail forend

Hearing that Century may have ground the barrels to fit makes them not even saleable to help cover a Ghillie build cost

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Send it back. $12 for UPS ground is a small price to pay IMHO.

At least force them to try to fix it. No FFL fee for a return directly to your house.

·
Registered
123 Posts
WOW, Century USED to be an OK company!! I would just stick with Vector. My V93 only cost a little more and shoots great!!!

I just got a c93 which was my first semi. Had problems the day I shot it then found out about jeff from a link to another link which lead me here lol this is no joke. He told me the price for a total rework which was about 540 with shipping our something which put the price of the rifle at about 1340 bucks (included paddle mag, new SW reciever had a hesse, Truinon, cocking tube, and repark. The vector is a little cheaper but in my opinion it wont be as good I think as a ghillie reworked c93, plus to top it off my bolt gap is staying at about .22. This is after I put 1000 rounds the next day I received the rifle back. Like everyone else says here on the forums its not bad if you treat it as a parts kit, which honestly is all they should be counted on to be unless by some unforseen occurence you get a good one.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
No, they were never in Oklahoma. Ghillie would run them out of the state if they ever tried to set up production there.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Problem is, they are marketed as a functional product, not a poorly assembled parts kit with a junk barrel. False advertising is bad business.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Problem is, they are marketed as a functional product, not a poorly assembled parts kit with a junk barrel. False advertising is bad business.
Another part of the problem is a lot of people post how they have multiple C93s that were perfect from the start even though they had a low bolt gap, + rollers already installed. "I guess I got lucky" is what gets posted a lot. I would have opted to buy a parts kit and flat or receiver and had it done correctly from the beginning. A C93 is an expensive parts kit with a turned down/sanded barrel. That's a damn shame because RCM makes a quality barrel that gets butchered. If I was Mike (RCM), I would make extra barrels because the one installed by Century are less than optimum. A used C93 would fetch lower price than a demilled parts kit. The only way Century will get it right is everyone refuses to buy their stuff, but that's not likely.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
As the C93 saga drags on over the years, I think that this model is yet another in Century's long line of woe.

As I recall the CETMEs and C91's started out ok and then quality suffered more and more over the years.

I suspect that since any gun (especially something that takes talent like roller locked guns) is only as good as the builder, that Century is paying the outsourced builder(s) they are using peanuts, and getting crap in return.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I just got a c93 which was my first semi. Had problems the day I shot it then found out about jeff from a link to another link which lead me here lol this is no joke. He told me the price for a total rework which was about 540 with shipping our something which put the price of the rifle at about 1340 bucks (included paddle mag, new SW reciever had a hesse, Truinon, cocking tube, and repark. The vector is a little cheaper but in my opinion it wont be as good I think as a ghillie reworked c93, plus to top it off my bolt gap is staying at about .22. This is after I put 1000 rounds the next day I received the rifle back. Like everyone else says here on the forums its not bad if you treat it as a parts kit, which honestly is all they should be counted on to be unless by some unforseen occurence you get a good one.
EEk, a new receiver? Yours was more than just a rework. I have a Hesse receiver too and just squared magwell and installed paddle mag, which was a pain on the Hesse shelf. Why did you replace the receiver? I hope it wasn't just because of the semi shelf, which could have been repaced. I too would take a Ghillie built gun over Vector any day. The gap between Vector and Century is closing. No Century isn't getting better, Vector has just gotten worse.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts