HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...HK45c V1 BB to heavy LEM.

Successful in all bench tests...will get to the range this week for the real shakedown.

Thanks to many who have authoritatively posted about LEM (over the years for gosh sakes) but especially recently to HKfaninMD, Brownie, and of course Carrera with the videos.

Couple of observations from my effort.

None of the axles or pins would push out with just hand pressure on the punch. A soft wood "hammer" - 1x1X6 (inches - you weren't thinking feet were you) - to tap the punch with worked - one or two raps and then hand pressure was fine. Ya always pause before taking a persuader to anything, but I did not want a punch to slip and...I won't even say it.

The hammer strut fell out earlier than on video, and for some reason I ended up with hammer down and not cocked at that point in the video. No big deal as it turned out.

It's the shorter hammer spring in the universal LEM kit for heavy LEM on a 45c. Got that self - SHORTER SPRING!

I was gonna do the Todd Green Special, but decided to change out the hammer spring. May still do TGS, as the hammer spring is easy - compared to...

I've read that the heavy TRS (square stock) is the easiest to install with the obtuse angle of the spring feet. I can see that, but unless you have a second person to play gun vise then I'd suggest using a bench and appropriate gun vise. BTW - it's shown in the exploded parts view, but the trigger axle is a dual diameter piece - for the 45/45c anyway. The instructions correctly say to remove it right to left and install left to right and that's the only way you can do it. Exploded parts view indicates that, too. Even I'd have to try hard to mess that up.

I did the LEM conversion first before the TRS and with limited bench fiddling do like the increased effort - very noticeable - to take up the initial trigger slack with the heavy TRS. No trigger gauge so will not speculate on pull effort. Id' say the trigger reset is "crisper", but experience is less than limited.

But I'm gonna have to draft a local militia to help pull the new DA trigger - the one you can only optionally use for a second strike. If you thought the V1 DA pull took some effort...

More tap, rack, bang practice...

New exposed hammer is ever so slightly to the left of centered, but with good clearance and vertical - not crooked - so lucked out there I guess.

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm gonna have to draft a local militia to help pull the new DA trigger - the one you can only optionally use for a second strike. If you thought the V1 DA pull took some effort...

More tap, rack, bang practice...
That is probably the smartest thing to come out of this post. Not just because it's that much harder, but also because the most likely scenario in a FTFire is a bad round, anyway.

FYI I have never had to use a hammer to get an axle pin out.
Installing the TRS is a bona-fide PITA. I actually use a ground down flat tip screwdriver that was modified just for those pesky things.
The next piece is the little Hammer Rebound Spring. It isn't difficult, but can be a little tricky. A small crochet hook actually helps position that one.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The only reason to install the square section wire TRS is to make the trigger heavy. It's part of Standard LEM (AKA Heavy LEM).

The shorter hammer spring is also part of Standard LEM (AKA Heavy LEM).

If you want a 9+ pound trigger pull every time install both springs. It's like shooting the pistol DA all the time. Leave all the V1 springs in the gun for Light LEM. (Firing pin block spring is already Light LEM too.)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

Chuck - did not realize that heavy was really standard.

I figure to see if I like firing the standard LEM and the work my way back to TGS - where I originally was going to start - or even light LEM. I figured starting and adjusting from either the heavy or light end was six of one half dozen of another. In hindsight after removing the stock TRS - easy ;-) - and struggling with the the supposed easier heavy TRS install - yup a PITA - I wonder if I should have started on the light end. But, my hunch is I will end up at TGS.

navyman - I have a very bad habit of over analyzing stuff and I suppose one can read too much. I can also be long winded, but here goes. I have been carrying a Kahr P45 6+1 for a while. As you probably know it's striker fired. By some other's accounts Kahr has a decent trigger and for my SD purposes I am comfortable with it. But I always wanted an HK - fate intervened - another story. So, likely misguided, I wanted the 45c if possible close to trigger feel as the Kahr. The advertised Kahr pull weight is 7 - 7.5 pounds. Chuck says standard is around 9 pounds and HK Parts gives "heavy" at 7.5 - 8. So, all of that seems close to standard Kahr. Watching Carrera's "How LEM Works" vid I was pretty sure I wanted a heavier initial stage take up. Got that with the standard/heavy LEM TRS. I did consider keeping the HK safety at one point, but punted on that - and am quite ok - glad even - that I did mostly because I can grip higher on the frame and access to the slide release is improved for me. My intent was never to turn the HK into a Kahr ;-) and I cannot say for sure how easy the transition will be until the bullets fly at the practice range.

I have also read many of the comparisons of LEM to you name it. Clearly makes sense to try to understand something new - and conceptual - to what one already knows. I am not too well travelled pistol or revolver wise. I am kind of thinking now that LEM is self referencing and needs to be experienced. I also own a Beretta 92FS - DA/SA well known - and was never comfortable with that, but I honestly never put the time required to learn to shoot a DA/SA and at my age figured I would not either for the 45c. LEM seems "simpler" to me, but I do not take it for granted as "easy" nor discount the need to practice and learn it.

Pete

·
Registered
193 Posts
My thoughts exactly... I went from a Kahr P45 which had a great trigger, but I ws not 100% confident it would go bang....traded for a HK 45c...........just completed LEM job (thanks to Carrera) but I used the smaller spring that came in the univ kit..........I guess this is LEM(heavy).............lighter would be the one that came with the HK correct? (Light LEM)...again I do not want a Kahr trigger but was keen on the non safety DA/SA combo.............Cant wait to range test this lem HK of mine.........

Thanks all.

Chuck - did not realize that heavy was really standard.

I figure to see if I like firing the standard LEM and the work my way back to TGS - where I originally was going to start - or even light LEM. I figured starting and adjusting from either the heavy or light end was six of one half dozen of another. In hindsight after removing the stock TRS - easy ;-) - and struggling with the the supposed easier heavy TRS install - yup a PITA - I wonder if I should have started on the light end. But, my hunch is I will end up at TGS.

navyman - I have a very bad habit of over analyzing stuff and I suppose one can read too much. I can also be long winded, but here goes. I have been carrying a Kahr P45 6+1 for a while. As you probably know it's striker fired. By some other's accounts Kahr has a decent trigger and for my SD purposes I am comfortable with it. But I always wanted an HK - fate intervened - another story. So, likely misguided, I wanted the 45c if possible close to trigger feel as the Kahr. The advertised Kahr pull weight is 7 - 7.5 pounds. Chuck says standard is around 9 pounds and HK Parts gives "heavy" at 7.5 - 8. So, all of that seems close to standard Kahr. Watching Carrera's "How LEM Works" vid I was pretty sure I wanted a heavier initial stage take up. Got that with the standard/heavy LEM TRS. I did consider keeping the HK safety at one point, but punted on that - and am quite ok - glad even - that I did mostly because I can grip higher on the frame and access to the slide release is improved for me. My intent was never to turn the HK into a Kahr ;-) and I cannot say for sure how easy the transition will be until the bullets fly at the practice range.

I have also read many of the comparisons of LEM to you name it. Clearly makes sense to try to understand something new - and conceptual - to what one already knows. I am not too well travelled pistol or revolver wise. I am kind of thinking now that LEM is self referencing and needs to be experienced. I also own a Beretta 92FS - DA/SA well known - and was never comfortable with that, but I honestly never put the time required to learn to shoot a DA/SA and at my age figured I would not either for the 45c. LEM seems "simpler" to me, but I do not take it for granted as "easy" nor discount the need to practice and learn it.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts