HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M13 date coded IG. Older I know (1986) but is mint and a tack driver. One day, while at the range, it started to fire while de-cocking (scary) so I sent it back to HK for repair. For free, HK replaced the faulty part. (what it was I don't know, I was told that the part has been "beefed" up in the newer M13's) Anyway, while HK had my pistol, they said that the barrel was worn and suggested that I have it replaced. I agreed and a new factory barrel was put in. Also, I had HK replace the factory sights with night sights so HK put on Tru Dot Brand night sights.

Once I got the pistol back, I noticed that it is still very accurate, but not quite the tack driver that I remembered. Being an advid shooted, I thought that the new barrel most likely needed a break in period which it has not yet received.

Now to my question......I recently read on another wedsite that aftermarket night sights should not be put on a p7. The website said that no after market sights are the same size as the originals. Furthermore, the article said that with aftermarkets, the gun will "Never be accurate again". Do you think this is why my p13 isn't like before? Do I need to shoot more rounds through the new barrel? (only 100 rounds through the new one so far) Should I put the factory sights back on?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
My first thought was the sights, not the barrel. As far as the night sights are concerned, I have Trijicons on a couple of my P7s and the gun shoots better than I do, but that isn't saying much. :)

You haven't said how it's shooting...high, low, left, right, all over the place?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Aftermarket sights won't affect accuracy. Whoever said it does, is full of sh!t. Stock front sight is way too wide IMO.

Accuracy is barrel dependant. Each barrel coming off the production line will be slightly different from the one before and after. It is possible that you got one that just won't shoot well. Try changing ammo since each gun likes a particular ammo.

Firing while decocking can be one of two things. Drop safety catch/and drop safety catch spring or the firing pin bushing. Both should be in your spare parts kit as these are commonly broken items.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Now to my question......I recently read on another wedsite that aftermarket night sights should not be put on a p7. The website said that no after market sights are the same size as the originals. Furthermore, the article said that with aftermarkets, the gun will "Never be accurate again". Do you think this is why my p13 isn't like before? Do I need to shoot more rounds through the new barrel? (only 100 rounds through the new one so far) Should I put the factory sights back on?

Thanks for your help!
I've read the same thing on that website. "Chris' P7 page" or something like that. I think he is reffering to the fact that Trijicon makes sights in different heights for the P7, a long and a short, and if you get the wrong ones for your pistol then it will not shoot as good as the originals. However, I see no problem with changing the sights on your M13 espescially because you got the right people...HK, to do it for you.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Aftermarket sights won't affect accuracy. Whoever said it does, is full of sh!t. Stock front sight is way too wide IMO.

Accuracy is barrel dependant. Each barrel coming off the production line will be slightly different from the one before and after. It is possible that you got one that just won't shoot well. Try changing ammo since each gun likes a particular ammo.

Firing while decocking can be one of two things. Drop safety catch/and drop safety catch spring or the firing pin bushing. Both should be in your spare parts kit as these are commonly broken items.
They are not full of schieze with it comes to a P7, and an incorrect aftermarket sight most definitely can affect accuracy. P7s have 7 different possible front sight heighths, from 5.7mm to 6.9mm at .2mm intervals, and marked on the bottom of the sight blade. I've never seen aftermarket P7 front sights in different sizes besides Trijicon, and adjustable rear sights from one other company. So if you get an aftermarket sight that is a different height than the one that came on your pistol, it will shoot high or low from then on. Ignoring ballistic drop, each .2mm change will affect point of impact by almost 1/2" at only around 20'.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I have a M13 date coded IG. Older I know (1986) but is mint and a tack driver. One day, while at the range, it started to fire while de-cocking (scary) so I sent it back to HK for repair. For free, HK replaced the faulty part. (what it was I don't know, I was told that the part has been "beefed" up in the newer M13's) Anyway, while HK had my pistol, they said that the barrel was worn and suggested that I have it replaced. I agreed and a new factory barrel was put in. Also, I had HK replace the factory sights with night sights so HK put on Tru Dot Brand night sights.

Once I got the pistol back, I noticed that it is still very accurate, but not quite the tack driver that I remembered. Being an advid shooted, I thought that the new barrel most likely needed a break in period which it has not yet received.

Thanks for your help!
Also - two things could be an issue. To check if the accuracy of the gun has changed, you need to shoot it from a very stead rest. If the bullets all hit in a tight pattern, then you just need to adjust the sights. But if they impact in a very scattered pattern, then there is an issue with the gun itself that needs to be addressed, and you have a problem that no adjustment of sights can cure.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The numbers on the sight refer to the height of the front sight. Different heights effect point of aim/shot placement. As suggested make sure you have a steady rest and take your time while you shoot for groupings. When using the 3 dots make sure the top plane of the sights are even as well. I have had only 2 barrels that were defective. One was a S&W 686 and a Bushmaster M4. Since I bought them new both companies replaced the barrels for free. Out of all the guns I have owned 2 is not bad ratio. It is a low possibilty but it happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts