HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg image.jpg I purchased a zenith z5-rs from atlantic city firearms as soon as they were available. I recieved it with in 10 days of ordering and upon inspection i was impressed with the packing,and contents. The pistol looked very good other than the welds they were ok. My aa89 welds looked way better. Went to the range, first few shots seemed good, very accurate at 20yrds. Then the malfuntions started. Double feeds, FTE, stove pipes, i even had a empty brass sitting horizontal in the chamber with two live rounds jammed under it with the bolt resting on all three, i cleared the malfuntions but on three different occasions i pull the charging handle back to shake out the empty brass from the double feed and some how a empty brass got past the bolt and fell down into the lower reciever, how the hell does that happen??? Im not a happy camper at all. Zenith will be getting a phone call very very soon. I attached some photos, i hope they load.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
A couple things come to mind:

Was this all with one particular magazine, or did you try with more than one? Which mfg. mags?

With an empty mag in, do you feel any rubbing on the bolt/carrier that isn't there when the mag is out?

I would encourage you to try with other mags just to help troubleshoot.

I'm overjoyed with mine, I am sorry you are having trubs. I know it sucks right now but I am SURE they will make it right by you.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes fargo i tried all three supplied mke mags that came with it. Even tried 5 different pof mags that run flawlessly through my AA89. Ammo used was 115grn remington rn and winchester 115 grn rn

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Good copy sar'nt.

I say don't sweat it. It's a lemon so just send it back and have it replaced.
One range trip does not make a lemon, a FTE for whatever reason (excessive friction, no lube, ammo, dirty gun, debris, out of spec ejector lever, pack hieght, extractor, or weak extractor spring etc) can weaken and waste the extractor spring and most likely yours is shot by what you describe. Did you clean or lube the gun prior to taking it out?

Regarless, I would check the extractor first since your guns ran then seemed to stop functioning normally, it is the achilles heal of the roller locked system. Pull the bolt group out of the gun then check the extractor on the face of the bolt head. It should be so tight that you cannot move it with your fingers at all. If there is any wiggle in it, or you can push it away from the firing pin hole by hand, that's a problem i.e. loose case purchase wich can cause the FTE scenarios you describe. Since ejection comes after extraction, see if you have any extraction issues first before you start down that path.

If you dont want to do any diagnosis yourself then by all means send it back. But I am sure its most likely going to be a simple issue to fix.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,786 Posts
Sounds like a pack height issue

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I had the exact same issue! The problem "I" had was with the 115 grain bullet. I started with Winchester 124 grain NATO and it ran flawlessly for 300 rounds. I gave 115 grain Lawman a whirl and it choked big time. Went back to the 124 grain and it ran like a striped ape again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking pack hieght issue also. How does an empty brass get past the bolt group when i charged it all the way to the rear to clear the malfunction? I had to break the gun all the way down to remove the brass from the lower. This happened three different times. This is unacceptable! When my AA89 has functioned like an ak47, chewing up any ammo i feed it with any mag ive tried. I mean im not a wealthy person by no means and $1750 is a good chunk of cash to spend on shotty QC in my book. Zenith will get a call first thing monday morning

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I was thinking pack hieght issue also. How does an empty brass get past the bolt group when i charged it all the way to the rear to clear the malfunction? I had to break the gun all the way down to remove the brass from the lower. This happened three different times. This is unacceptable! When my AA89 has functioned like an ak47, chewing up any ammo i feed it with any mag ive tried. I mean im not a wealthy person by no means and $1750 is a good chunk of cash to spend on shotty QC in my book. Zenith will get a call first thing monday morning
That happened to me twice with the 115 grain.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,786 Posts
Try some different ammo before you freak out as John suggested

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
As others have stated the inexpensive extractor spring is the weak link. The Zenith 9mm guns ship with the correct copper extractor spring. Others, like myself, have gone to the rifle extractor springs that are "silver colored" and most guns work just fine. The rifle springs are stronger. Check the lip of the extractor to be certain you don't have a small chip. I had that happen years ago on one of my clones. If so it is an easy fix. Sorry to hear about your issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ammo used was 115grn remington rn and winchester 115 grn rn
Sorry to hear this, Sgt! Give Zenith a call, spin up that warranty.

I just got back from another range afternoon, which included another 200+ rounds through the Z-5P, flawless. Freedom Munition new 147gr 990fps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the reply guys, i was looking over my paper work and a 5 year warranty that zenith offers is pretty good. I understand that every gun maker out there has a few bad ones. So im going to call zenith tommorow and see if there in the buisness for the long haul, i equate that with excellent costomer service.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Debris trapped under the extractor can also be the culprit. Insert a spent casing into the bolt face, it should fit extra snug with very little play. Also, does the top edge of your grip frame run parallel with the receiver, or is it drooping down ???

·
Registered
172 Posts
Noob question here, but is it that MP5's in general don't like 115 grain ammo?

I'm guessing that isn't the case, but some of the "Ah ha, you were using 115 grain...." replies got me thinking.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,422 Posts
If it's well built, it will feed and shoot anything with no problem. I use steel case wolf 115 with no problems. Now, the MP5 40 can be a little picky with ammo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Noob question here, but is it that MP5's in general don't like 115 grain ammo?

I'm guessing that isn't the case, but some of the "Ah ha, you were using 115 grain...." replies got me thinking.

My POF has shot over 700 rounds of remanufactured 115 grain 9mm ammo without one single issue.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
sgt carroll....you may or may not be interested in troubleshooting it as its a new gun and it's prob easier to send it back for another...but...like others said...you arent in Lemon Territory yet. In fact you might be far away from true lemon territory. Who knows? I personally would try some troubleshooting including swapping parts out one by one with another MP5 if possible. Then try the different ammo types and mags. Extractor spring, yada yada. As far as casings being all over the place I used to have that happen all the time with a factory SP89 fleming converted MP5k..dont know how, why, etc but did. Actually after YEARS of frustration I found a micro crack/fissure in my dang extractor. It allowed it to flex and FTEx and/or contributed to FTej. Could see it ONLY with a dang mag. lens. Crazy I know. Anyway I'd encourage you to not throw in the towel just yet.. Give it a college try.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts