HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering scope options for my new MR308 and was quite tempted by the Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4x24 Short-Dot LE - 1,1-4x24 PM ShortDot LE

I'm struggling to justify the cost of this scope, especially when the excellent Zeiss Victory HT 1.1–4x24 is less than 2/3 of the price - VICTORY HT 1.1-4x24

The Zeiss doesn't have a "military" reticle or rapid elevation adjustment, but does have first class optics and a variable intensity red dot which like the S&B is in the 2nd focal plane with the reticle. Considering the likely application of this type of scope is there any reason at all why the Zeiss wouldn't be a good alternative?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
What is your application? Because this reticle is useless to anything except hunting on one known (close - up to 150-200m) distance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your application? Because this reticle is useless to anything except hunting on one known (close - up to 150-200m) distance.
Recreation, but I may want to start competing with this gun at some stage. I notice you use the Vortex. Why did you choose that scope? Are they available in Europe? What reticle do you consider useful?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Recreation, but I may want to start competing with this gun at some stage. I notice you use the Vortex. Why did you choose that scope? Are they available in Europe? What reticle do you consider useful?
If you want to do some competitive shooting, you need scope with reticle, that allows you to take distance and wind holdovers. Those are not necessary "sniping" type like Horus Vision "tree", but reticle in scope you linked allow only limited functionality.

I choose Vortex, because it is good, rugged scope and gives good value for money. It has natural field of view at 1x. This together with good eyebox (large exit pupil diameter and long eye relief) it allows me to be as fast as with red dot sight. Also I can use it in unconventional shooting position and still be able to aim with it. Reticle I use is TMCQ MRAD version. Good balance of speed for 1x and precision for 4x (I haven't shot it past 300m yet, but it worked great for me up to this distance). Illumination could be better on highest setting (it equals setting 9 on Aimpoint MicroT1). For my purposes it is better than putting S&B or Zeiss. Svarovski Z6i seem to be better for my use, but not that much, so it would justify price difference. And Vortex warranty is working worldwide - this was first thing I checked directly with manufacturer before I placed order for my scope.

Vortex scopes are available in Poland Optic Sight » riflescopes » Viper PST - ASG Air Soft Gun Shop. They should be able to export to Switzerland - fire them an email. I know people form this company. They are solid to deal with.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Recreation, but I may want to start competing with this gun at some stage.
Your gun easily reaches out to 300m and more. I would go with at least a 10x magnification. If my funds where unlimited, i would consider a S&B 4-16x42. This scope is slim enough not to look chunky on a MR308, yet allows shoots out to 600m (and more). Use a Recknagel Mount, i got one to mount my Leupold 3,5-10x42:

ERA-TAC Blockmontagen

Scope:

4-16x42 PM II/LP

Do not forget to post a pic when finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts