HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to take my Saturday afternoon to install some 922r parts and ran into a significant problem.

I bought this US HK93 pattern extended cocking handle as a way to help make my Z43P 922r compliant when my form 1 comes back. I haven't found any other information online about installing these as a 922r part so I guess I am the guinea pig on this one. The one above/ on the left is the US HK33 handle, while the other one is the factory MKE one.

Anyway, I installed the new charging handle to see if it would work despite the different geometry but it would not fully close. I'm not sure exactly why but I did not force it.

In addition to the cocking handle being designed differently, the cocking tube support also looks pretty different from standard. This makes me think that if I were to get an actual HK33 cocking tube support that this would work correctly. However I dont know enough about how these things work to want to spend $100 on a guess.

Does anyone have any insight or have any experience with this? I would love to not have to swap out my bolt carrier for a US made part just to be able to use a A3 stock.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thats interesting, I wouldnt have thought MKE would have gone with that on their standard guns. I guess I'll have to look into finding something closer to that then. Is the difference between the two charging systems just in the cocking handle/ support or does that also have to do with the cocking tube?

ETA: From looking at AT-43 info like FWP9mm suggested it looks like the cocking tube is unique too... I have an email out to Zenith to see if they have any suggestions and I will make a post if they have a solution available. I bet more people than just me would like an easy 922r part for their Z43P!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've read that MKE started using 21 charging handles on all their guns well before the commercial extended handles were available, and they just stuck with them. I don't know how true that is, but it would make sense.

As far as your 922r concerns, just put the receipt for the new handle with your other paperwork and call it a day. It's not like your rifle will ever be sent to the ATF labs for testing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried what the OP is doing a while back when my Form 1 came back. No dice. The Z43-P's cocking tube is nonstandard and the HK33 pattern cocking tube support will not fully seat. I wish I would have taken a side by side picture of them when I had them out of the gun, but the Z43-P's cocking tube was very different from the standard HK33 pattern tube. It lacked a spring retention channel and the end had a large recessed section in it that is designed to clear a tab that is installed inside the Z43-P's cocking tube.

From what I could tell the Z43-P's cocking handle latches onto this tab inside the cocking tube, hence why it has that little tooth on the back of it.

Edit: Also OP it is my understanding that the RCM carrier that fits the 93/33 is a full auto carrier, so it won't fit into the Zenith receiver without milling out either the carrier or the receiver block.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an email back from Zenith earlier and they confirmed that it is a HK21 cocking system. They also said that they will be making these charging handles and HK33 pattern handguards stateside once they open up their new building. As they will need these parts for their Z41/Z43 rifle I assume once those hit the market we will also be able to pick up one of the new cocking handles just so we can feel warm and fuzzy about hitting the magic number 7. Looks like I'll just be reinstalling the factory one for now, but sounds like a solution is just around the corner!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any update on cocking handle availability for a Zenith Z43P? I just picked one up and need to get to the magic number 7 too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts