HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post on HK Pro. I recently purchased an SL8-1/G36K conversion with the C-style picatinny rail with iron sights. I was wondering how to zero these sights and what distance I should be using to do it? My only prior experience is with AR-15 style sights, and I'm not sure if the same procedure is applicable. Thanks in advance!

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,875 Posts
Because of the way .223/5.56 shoots, you can use the basic AR battle sight method and be pretty darned close. Zero it at around 50 yards, which should be doable at most gun ranges. Because of the way the round will "come up" to the point of impact (your barrel is below the line of sight), it will also "come down" at some point in the distance. This point happens to be at about 200 yards. So you get a two for one doing it this way. Of course, fine tuning will be necessary...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use modified version of that method. I zero to the furthest distance my current indoor range allows for (usually 25-30 yards) and figure in the bullet rise and drop for longer shots. This technique has served me well as i dont treat my carbines as bullseye guns, they just need to hit center mass with a bit of kentucky windage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use modified version of that method. I zero to the furthest distance my current indoor range allows for (usually 25-30 yards) and figure in the bullet rise and drop for longer shots. This technique has served me well as i dont treat my carbines as bullseye guns, they just need to hit center mass with a bit of kentucky windage.
Yeah that's what I need. This is just more of a fun-to-shoot gun, not a bench gun, so I just needed a generic zero that would work in a variety of situations, as is fitting for a combat rifle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My gun club has an outdoor range and the standard is always to go to a pistol bay and zero at 25 yds, then 50 yds. Once you're dead center, you'll be a little low at 100yds, but it's easy to come up within 2 shots at that point. From that point, fire away and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts