HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today to zero my iron sights and the eotech system. It was my first go around with my new MR556. The thing shot like a dream and overall was impressed with the recoil and weight, even with the eotech and magnifier attached to it. No issues today.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why would you zero your sights at a 100 yards, you do realize how to properly zero your weapon? Even though I had the wrong target, the same rules apply if you know how to gauge the adjustments. Just saying bro

Just a side note, this was a quick trip to the range with a box of 223 just to zero. I can not wait to go back and have some more fun with it

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Did you cowitness w irons , I have a eotech 512 and it seems to work

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up taking the eotech off, it was sitting to high to cowitness comfortably. You can cowitness with iron sights, but it's just alittle to high with the mount than what I'm used to

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Why would you zero your sights at a 100 yards, you do realize how to properly zero your weapon?
If your intended zero is 100y, you need to go back to 100y to confirm. Why 100? That is essentially where (near 107y IIRC) the 5.56 reaches the peak of its trajectory in relation to your sights. More clearly stated, whether closer or farther than 100y, your POI will be at or below POA. Some feel that its easier to always remember to hold over rather than having hold overs and hold unders.

However if 25y is your intended zero, that's your business/preference.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see your point on only remembering to hold over and not both. Personally I can gauge my distance better with meters than yards. Me zeroing at 25M wil put me the same at 300M. My optics first dot is 0-300M. That, and it's less of a walk to 25M than 100yrds

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I can see your point on only remembering to hold over and not both. Personally I can gauge my distance better with meters than yards. Me zeroing at 25M wil put me the same at 300M. My optics first dot is 0-300M. That, and it's less of a walk to 25M than 100yrds
Then you should know that for most standard loads, a 25 METER zero will actually put you at about 350 METERS, not 300

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I"ll have to check my Troy sights on the elevation settings and see the movement, being a click off for that extra 50 meters will put me around 1/4" up at 300 meters, if they mimic the M4 sights. Also, to add the HK front sight took me a minute to get my sight picture, it's very different.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm new to this zeroing stuff what is hold overs and unders?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hold over and Under, meaning your compensating for the trajectory of the bullet. Once the bullet leaves the barrel it starts to rise and moves in a arch like trajectory. So say your zeroed for 300 Meters and you shoot a 150 Meter target, your POI will be high, so you hold under to compensate. Also, when you have a target at 400 Meters, you will hold over to compensate the bullet drop.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hold over and Under, meaning your compensating for the trajectory of the bullet. Once the bullet leaves the barrel it starts to rise and moves in a arch like trajectory. So say your zeroed for 300 Meters and you shoot a 150 Meter target, your POI will be high, so you hold under to compensate. Also, when you have a target at 400 Meters, you will hold over to compensate the bullet drop.
Thanx for explanation, wasn't the best at math, so w the stock sights that have no markings your really just taking a guess , I still want to know what the numbers are for on the rear sight,, I always use "1", seems to give me a better view of the front,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Newbie here . For 556, what distance to set zero. Range may be only 100yds. Hk stock iron sights. Eventually , saving or credit card a Elcan specter dv. Will Troy micro folding sights fit or Elcan eye relief be a factor.? Thanks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Once the bullet leaves the barrel it starts to rise and moves in a arch like trajectory.
I The bullet never "rises" after leaving the barrel. It drops and will never rise above the angle of muzzle. Just didn't want someone new to shooting to take that comment the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts