HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to range yesterday to Zero my NEW MR 556 Upper. I installed the Factory Iron sights,the HK dioapler Sights, I had to buy them Seperate they did not come on my upper. I installed them correctly and put a target at 100yrds and did not hit the paper at all. The rear drum is down all the way on the base. How many turns up to get it on paper? Anyone here have the same trouble as I Trying to Zero these sights? Also Which number on the Rear sight do you Zero at 100YRDS. Is it "1" or "2" Do these rifle shoot Low from the start? I understand how to do it , but I need a starting point to get on Paper. Please help.:wink:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
"1" is for 100 meters, etc. Numbers are for meters not yards so adjust zero distances accordingly. If you are familiar with the zeroing and have the tools I won't rehash that. If you are not on paper move the target closer. Get on paper with the rounds about 1.5-2 inches low at 25 yards and that should get you pretty close to further refine at 100 yards or 100 meters.

Since the diopters serve only as BUIS to my Aimpoint I usually just set the preferred diopter aperture for a 50/200 zero.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Did they not come with any zero information?

Anyways, if you have the rear drum all the way down, you are shooting WAY low. Like Hunter Rose said, move the target closer.

I have zero experience with these sights on the HK416/MR556 series, but a lot of experience using them on the G3. I see that the HK416/MR556 has a large aperture on the "1" setting, and not the notch we had on the G3.

The "1" notch on the G3 was for night time shooting, and close quarters. The "1" aperture on the HK416/MR556 sight also looks like a night time/close quarters notch, not a 100 meter aperture (if documentation says anything else then that is probably correct). It is simply too big.
We used to zero our G3's with the sight on the "2" aperture. That was the battle sight. This gave us a near zero of 30 meters, and a far zero of 200 meters, with our ammo load and line of sight over the bore. We rarely used the "3" and "4" apertures, only holds. These numbers are, as I said, for the AG3, so they will not work for you.

However, if the numbers posted by Hunter Rose are somewhat accurate, my suggestion to you is to zero the gun using the "2" aperture, for a 200 meter zero for your BUIS. You might have a near zero of 50 meters, ie where the projectile crosses the LOS the first time. Basically you have the same POA/POI at 50 and 200 meters.

If you want help with a zero trajectory chart I can help you out, but I need the following information from you:

Projectile weight
Ballistic coefficient
Height over bore of the sight line
Muzzle velocity

Just remember that POI will change if you use different ammo, due to change in weight, BC and velocity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must be shooting very low, The drum is all the way down/Bottomed out . Any way I will move target closer and use the number 2 Appiture as I too will be using a Aimpoint and these sights will be only a BUIS. Thanks for the info

·
Banned
879 Posts
And if you want a more traditional V notch for the number 1 setting, Grab an HK93 rear sight from RTG for $12 bucks and swap out the MR556 drum assembly on the rail mount base. This will also help you keep the built in BDC for 5.56mm.

Although some have said that the HK91 and HK93 use the same drum. But, regardless, the 93 sight parts are cheap and in good condition, so it might be worth a try.

Link to the replacement sight: http://www.robertrtg.com/hk93rearsight.html

·
Registered
238 Posts
Guys, sorry to be a noob and revive an old thread, but I'm reading conflicting posts on how to zero in the diopter mr556 sights.

One post says to: zero in on the "1" circle at 100 meters and the "2" to "4" corresponds to shooting from 2-400 meters.

Another post says to: zero in on the "2" circle at the 30 meter, which ends up being the same thing for 200 meters.

Can anyone help confirm these? Also, feel free to share any other knowledge/experience you have on these sights:) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Not a dumb question at all.

The first is correct, per the MR762 manual. There is no mention of it in the MR556 PDF that I have and I'm too lazy to dig out the one that came with my rifle.

Set the diopter to 1 and shoot at 109.3 yards (100M) is what it says in the 762 manual and I know it is the same for the 556 because that is how I did it on mine.

Kind of funny the 762 doesn't come with irons and there is a sight in procedure in the manual and not the 556.

Edited to add... Both of the above statements are true, Just depends where you want to zero and your range distance, if you zero at 100 the 2 will be on target at 200.

I usually try to zero mine for MPBR which is usually closer to 200M, ammo dependent of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts